Old Macbook (from 2007) and deformed battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by inf, Jul 21, 2009.

1. inf macrumors 6502

inf

OK the situation is as follows:

I bought a brand new MBP 13" last week. I was planning to sell my old white macbook (from Jan 2007), but yesterday when i started to put in selling shape (i already have a buyer) i noticed that the battery has started to deform. It's like blowed up from the middle.

The battery works still fine, but the deforming has caused a problem. The trackpad won't work because the battery is pushing the button under the battery (the grey circular one) and the battery deforms the case a little bit.

I'm planning to call apple this afternoon about the battery. Any wishes that they would change the battery for free? I know it's almost 2,5years old, but I think that can't be normal for a battery...it can be a healthy hazard if it decides to blow up?

So any thought about my situation?

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, if you go along the lines of you're very worried because your battery is swelling up then you might be able to get a replacement out of them. Batteries aren't supposed to do that... ever, even when they're at the end of their life!

Good luck.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Apple most likely won't help you because you are out of warranty. Also you should just sell it as is to the buyer. Or you can be an nice person and buy a replacement battery for the computer. You can probably find one for a good price on eBay. :)

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would tell Apple that your concerned about the safety of the computer when you call. They may give you a replacement, but they should give you a new battery, as it is not supposed to do that.

5. inf thread starter macrumors 6502

inf

Well yeah, i know that the warranty is off and that is the problem why apple would hesitate. But as many have said, this isn't normal for a battery that is only two years old. I would understand if it would lose it's capacity, but coconutbattery f.ex gives very good readings (Health about 97%).

Of course i can sell it as it is, and i also informed the buyer about the situation because i want to be honest. It just i would have to lower the price pretty much i guess if i can't get a new battery.

I could by a battery from ebay put it seems a little risky...how do i know they will work and that they are genuine apple batteries?

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...typically, you won't find genuine parts on ebay and they are usually very similar cost to new... I'd try apple first...

7. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Call apple. It is a safety concern, so maybe they will replace it. They don't want to get sued down the line because someone got a horrible burn from their laptop.

8. inf thread starter macrumors 6502

inf

Called...and no they won't replace my battery...now I have to buy a new and pay freaking 139euros for it...GOD DAMMIT!

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

They had an extended warranty program (I think) for their batteries after the initial concerns with swelling batteries, I'm surprised they refused to replace it.

You could always try again.

10. inf thread starter macrumors 6502

inf

The guy told me that the program has already been shutdown and my macbook wasn't even covered in that :(

11. RHatton macrumors regular

How many recharge cycles were there on the battery out of curiosity?

12. inf thread starter macrumors 6502

inf

13. RHatton macrumors regular

and they wouldn't replace it? Take it to an apple store. Those batteries are supposed to be good for 300 recharge cycles so it would be listed as defective. They replaced the battery on my girlfriends late 2007 macbook at the apple store for free last week and it had 210 cycles on it. They supposedly ended the extended warranty on defective batteries back in May but you may get lucky.

14. inf thread starter macrumors 6502

inf

We don't have any apple stores here, but we have these Apple premium resellers or what they are called.

The guy on the phone just said that this can happen, and the battery is just been overcharged so Apple thinks it's normal :(