Old MacBook Intel Core Duo Needs Some Love!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eythandamico, Feb 20, 2011.

1. eythandamico macrumors newbie

So I have an old MB:eek: and it's been running into some kernel panics once or twice a month. I have ran multiple disk repairs and permission repairs, cleaned out some application caches and multiple other little tricks I found googling about! I have attempted using the Onyx utility but it seems to just congest my entire system. Long story short, I'm just looking for some pointers from someone in my position haha. I uploaded my system specs for some more detail, also next time the panic happens I could get the report

Thanks folks!

Attached Files:

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Start over? Back up your media/apps/docs, format, reinstall OS X, dump your stuff back.

I do this at least every six months. Keeps everything running nice and smooth :)

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

If you still have the grey restore disks that came with the computer, you can try running Apple Hardware Test. Better yet, if you have a local Apple Store, make an appointment at the Genius Bar and have them run a free diagnostic on your computer

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Not at all required for OS X. I have a system that hasn't been reinstalled in years, and it's running as fast as the day I first installed it. My current MacBook hasn't been erased or reinstalled in 6 months, and it's still running perfectly.

Reinstallation is a catch-all, for sure. But that's almost like replacing the engine in your car when something is going wrong and you don't want to figure it out. It "fixes" the problem, but only because you destroyed the whole thing. There are certainly times for reinstallation, but regular reinstallation shouldn't be necessary. It can't hurt, though... I just find it far more trouble than it's worth.