Old Macbook mag charger sparking

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheGambler, Feb 25, 2012.

1. TheGambler macrumors newbie

So my old macbook charger is frayed on the end, and has been for some time, and all of a sudden, I plugged it in and it started sparking!

Has this happened to anyone before? If so, is there any way you can return it to apple for a replacement? I have an old white plastic macbook from 2008, so I'm not sure if there's anything they can do for me, but if someone else could share their experience, I would love to hear it.

Thanks guys. :apple:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Stop using that one. Call up Apple or take it to an Apple Store. They'll replace it for free.

3. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Haha yeah I definitley stopped using it. So they'll replace even though it's four yrs old without a receipt?

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Yes.

5. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah that's good news. Thanks for the help guys.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Yet another example of the faulty adapter and the reason for the class action settlement. Take it in and get a new one.

7. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

What are the exact rules on that? I have one of the original "T chargers" that just up and stopped working one day, is that covered too?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I believe it's only ones that have frayed. But there have been some reports that they replace non-functional ones as well.

9. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

It's a good indicator that you should stop using something when it's sparking. Unless you possibly enjoy the chance of injuring yourself or frying your computer, but I have a feeling that neither of those appeal to you. ;)

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Good luck.

I took a frayed charger to the apple store.
    They pulled up my Serial Number, saw that it was from 2007, and then told me it was too old to qualify for the replacement.

Best they could offer was an out-of-warranty replacement for $60.

Other people just walk in, show their charger, and get a new one.

Good luck.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just had mine done for intermittent charging no frays. So yes

12. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Yup took mine in and got a replacement! Although just to make sure it'd work I did spend about 10 minutes tugging at the ends to purposely get the cable exposed.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez