Old Macbook pro 15" or New Macbook pro 15" Need advice....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YOTR, Feb 26, 2011.

1. YOTR macrumors member

I have been thinking about getting a mackbook pro for years but could never justify the price. My lenovo thinkpad is starting to break down (and almost 3 years old) so I am considering getting one now. It is going to cost me right around $1200 to upgrade my thinkpad so I am honestly looking hard at a macbook now.

I noticed that some online stores are clearing out the old Macbook pro 15" models (the ones that were $1799 just a few days ago) for $1499. That seems like a great deal but worry about it being an older model. I honestly don't want to spend $1800 for the new model as I don't think I would need the extra power. I would just be using the pc for internet, word processing, streaming music, gaming (very minor though to be honest as I already have a PS3) and occasionally editing/viewing pictures.

Should I still be considering the new model for $300 more or should I jump on the 2010 new Macbook pro? If it's worth it, I will just save up another $300 for the newer model. Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd just get a 2010. For your uses the newest model will make minimal difference.

3. bsbuggs macrumors regular

I have the same dilemma...I was hoping that a member who just sold a 2010 macbook pro and bought the 2011 model could offer some insight. I have never owned a mac and found the following mac locally:
    "Apple MacBook Pro 15" with Intel Core i7 2.66GHz CPU
    8GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (Upgraded from 4GB)
    128GB SDD (Apple Original)
    15" Glossy Widescreen Display"

The seller is asking around 2000.00. Now with the student discount some of can have the upgraded 15" pro for around 2300.00

again as the op said its the three hundred dollar question.

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

For me, I would really go for the new quad core, but the reality is that you don't need it.

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I have a Core2Duo and I can't feel any slowness of any kind, so in your case I would buy the old model.

6. YOTR thread starter macrumors member

To add more confusion, I noticed Apple has a refurb Macbook pro 15" with an I7 core (512mb video card vs the 256 that I am looking at) for $1599. I could get my wife's student discount but I am not sure how I feel about a refurbished mac. I have had friends get them and they always came in mint condition. At the same time though, if I am paying this kind of money, I want it to be new.

I am coming from an older Core 2 Duo thinkpad so I am sure it will be a big improvement regardless of what I get. Heck even my wife's new Acer TimelineX (with an I3 core) destroys my thinkpad.

I am really torn on what to do! :)

7. YOTR thread starter macrumors member

Yup I understand your dilemma. That's a pretty good deal to be honest. I am also contemplating a refurb form apple but I am not sure I want to go down that road as I really want a brand new factory sealed model. I will probably play some games on it but nothing major as I primarily game on the PS3. I am going to sell my xbox this week so that will soften the blow a little on the macbook. With two kids, I just don't have much time to game as much so the PS3 will have to do :).

I have a few friends at work that have the 2010 15" model with a I5 Core 2.4 ghz with the Nvidia 330m 256 card and they can all game on it without any problems. Plus it's really fast even with the 4GB of stock ram (doubt I would upgrade as 4GB should be enough). That's the model I can get for $1499 shipped with no tax.