Old Macbook Pro "backup-to-upgrade" question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ldmyers1949, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ldmyers1949 macrumors newbie

I am currently using a MacBook Pro, 2.33 Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo. It is running OS 10.6.8; is close to 10-years old, and getting tired. My question has to do with the proper way to do a backup, considering that I plan to upgrade to a refurb MacBook Pro, no more that a couple of years old but running the latest OS. I do regular clone backups with Super Duper. Given that it backs up the entire OS (10.6.8) and all of my apps and data as a clone of my hard drive, is this sufficient to then upgrade and transfer all of my data and apps to a new computer? The old OS concerns me. Or should I be doing a different type of backup? I have apps that will need to be upgraded to work with the new OS but I want to insure the apps as they exist, will transfer so that I can do the upgrade and move on. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just use Time Machine. When you're setting up your new Mac it'll ask if you want to migrate old data. It gives you some options about what you want to copy over.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Seconding T5BRICK's suggestion. If you do a Time Machine backup and then migrate from that backup, the migration will go a lot more smoothly.

4. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

5. ldmyers1949 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to you all. I had no idea it could be this simple!