Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I have a 3 yr old, apparently broken Macbook pro here (17") which I gave up on after the warranty expired early last year. It isn't an emergency situation as I have a new machine, but would love to know if anything could be done to help the old one.

Symptoms: When booting, only grey screen with Apple logo appears with the spinning dial beneath it. Nothing else. It remains like that, until rebooting itself all over again, only to stick on the same screen.

I do hear the chime, but that is all.

Power cable working well.

Did try various stuff at the time, like holding down command + C, etc, but no joy.

Any ideas?
Just give up the ghost?

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Thanks! I'm sure I went over these before, but am going to try again. Will report back shortly.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Tried these so afar and no joy:
1. SMC reset [4]. Shut down and unplug all cables including power cord for at least 30 seconds and then plug in power cord and keyboard/mouse.

2. PRAM reset [5]. Hold down option, command, P and R while booting. Start it when you hear the sound and don't let go before it reboots.

3. Safe boot [6]. Hold down shift while booting to boot into safe mode. If this works, open Disk Utility from Utilities and repair your permissions and verify the disk

4. Hardware test [7]. Insert the install disk (disk 1 in Mac which shipped with OS X 10.5.4 or earlier, disk 2 if shipped with OS X 10.5.5 or newer) and hold down "D" before the grey boot screen opens. Follow on screen instructions

5. Boot from install disk. Boot from the disk that came with your Mac. Hold C while booting. Select Disk Utility from top bar and repair permissions and verify the disk. Reboot normally and see if it works now.

------------------

PRAM test brings up image of Mac HD but when clicked the process just begins again.

I put the instal disk in and rebooted, whilst holding D, and screen just remained white until I let go. Then the Apple and spinning dial just came back again.

The underside of the macbook is insanely hot!

----------

Thanks for the link. I have tried the Hardware test, which failed.

Now attempting to try by installing applications install disk2. Not sure if I put the disk in prior to turning on and hitting D????

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thanks for the link. I have tried the Hardware test, which failed.

Now attempting to try by installing applications install disk2. Not sure if I put the disk in prior to turning on and hitting D????

The disk that contains AHT should have a note about it somewhere on the disk. On my mid 2009 it's on disk 2.

You'll probably have to turn your Mac on to insert the disk, shut it off(hold the power button down in your case) and turn it back on while you press and hold the D key. Eventually you should see the AHT diagnostic icon on your screen.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I believe the "SNS" part of the error code indicates a sensor issue. You may want to take it into an Apple store just to see what they say. I'm pretty sure they won't charge anything to just look at it, and it's possible that it may be covered under a warranty extension.

*edit* did you have anything plugged into the USB ports when you ran the test? That can introduce random errors.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I believe the "SNS" part of the error code indicates a sensor issue. You may want to take it into an Apple store just to see what they say. I'm pretty sure they won't charge anything to just look at it, and it's possible that it may be covered under a warranty extension.

*edit* did you have anything plugged into the USB ports when you ran the test? That can introduce random errors.

The mouse, damn it!
Have begun extended error test now.
Keep it going even with mouse in?

----------

Just googled - seems error is thermal, etc, might involve battery. No battery in at present, working on mains. Odd.

Still awaiting extended test result.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Sadly trackpad died.

----------

Testing complete: same error.
Made odd sound when testing logic board, which may be the issue I suspect.

Not possible to test without mouse.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
At this point, I'd take it in to an Apple store and see of maybe it's covered under a warranty extension. Maybe you can get it repaired for free.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Yeh, will call them and see what they advise, hopefully it will be worth saving.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.