Old MacBook pro discount- worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jayhay, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jayhay macrumors member

So I went down to the apple store today to look at the macbook pros. From what we were told, the old models are now 10% off. I also get a discount because I am a teacher, so instead of paying 1250, we are looking at 1050. We really want to switch to Mac, but money is an issue as in the last 3 months we have purchased an iPod touch, an iphone and an iPad. I am totally sold on Apple, but I am wondering if there a chance that the price will drop further? I also looked at refurbished, but they do not offer the teacher discount, so it works out at only 50 bucks cheaper. Basically, I am wondering if the refurbished is worth it to save 50 bucks and if there is any reason to believe that the older MacBook pros will drop further in price?

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

Well it really depends on your use. Being a teacher i would assume a regular Macbook would more than suffice. Those are only 899.

if you really want the "pro" or if your use is greater than im assuming an older generation mbp would be just fine, however the updated 13" has 2 hour greater battery life.

Performance wise your not compromising anything noticable by saving some money and getting the previous generation mpb.

What are your specific needs for the laptop?

3. jayhay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I went into the Apple store to buy the old MBP but they were sold out of it already. However, when I looked at the difference btw the old model and the new one, I realized that for $150 difference (the measly discount), I was getting 3 more hours of battery life and double the memory. In reality, battery life is one of the major reasons I am switching to Mac, so I went with the new MBP. I am very happy I did as I used it for 4 hours straight last night and it still has tons of battery life left! I was lucky to get 45 minutes out of my one year old HP.

4. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

jayhay, FYI you can get the NEW 2010 MBP 13" from macconnection.com for $1050. That included tax and shipping to Texas.