Old MacBook Pro Hard Drive - advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bakerboy, May 23, 2011.

1. bakerboy macrumors newbie

Hi to all - I'd be grateful for any advice / ideas

I've just upgraded my Hard Drive to a 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint on my 13" MBP.

I was hoping to put my old Toshiba 250Gb into an external USB caddy ... but the blessed thing has 4 nut/bolt/screw type things sticking out of the sides making it bigger than the caddy box ...

Anyone know if these can be removed safely and what sort of tool you need to take them off as its not obvious to me! ?

The Ram and HD upgrade were so easy! :)

Thanks

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

You really should have done a little more research before concluding that the HD replacement was "so easy." :D:eek::D Those "4 nut/bolt/screw type things sticking out of the sides" should have been removed from the old HD and put on the new HD you installed. :D You can remove them using a Torx #6 driver (or a pair of needle nose pliers if you can't find the Torx driver). They function to hold the HD securely in the MBP drive bay, resting on noise and vibration reduction material in the drive bay! :cool:

3. bakerboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha ha ! That'll teach me to get cocky! Thanks for the reply ... back to the inside of the MBP I go!

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

davidlv is right, you should have done more research on how to replace MBP hard drive.

Read this MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Hard Drive Replacement iFixit guide thouroughly.

The screws you mention are on page 3 of the guide (last pic) it looks like you need a special screwdriver too.

5. Dsync macrumors member

Looks like the question has already been answered... but I'll add my post =)

I did almost the same thing. I jumped inside too quickly only to find those torx screws. Fortunately, I had a #7 sitting around from another project and it worked fine. LOL!! So don't feel bad ;)