"Old" MacBook Pro or iPad Mini Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msbisa, Jun 3, 2014.

1. msbisa macrumors newbie

Hi,
    at the moment I've got an iPad 2 and an old Windows notebook when I travel and i'd like to sell both and buy or an iPad Mini Retina or an Old Macbook pro (2010-2011). I'm thinking about it for a month and at the beginning I watched a lot of videos on Youtube but not anymore at the moment.
    I use the notebook for surfing the web, watching some videos and doing some postproduction of photos (for heavy work I use the iMac when I come back home). When I use a notebook I feel more "free" and safe for doing some work like buying something on ebay/paypal etc...
    I considered also a MacBook Pro of 2011 because so I can upgrade ram, ssd

what do you recommend for me?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You need to reassess security, it isn'y based around the hardware platform you use in this way, the data your transmit when you do those tasks is the same irrespective of whether you make the transaction on the iMac, any notebook, or the iPad.

So you have an iMac, iPad and a Win notebook? and want to replace the notebook - tbh it doesn't sound like you need to replace it given what you have said but if the iPad doesn't currently meet your needs when travelling then I'd recommend you replace it with a 13" 2011 MBP with an HDD and consider budgeting for an SSD upgrade - see my sig for a dual-drive config that works.

The other option I would consider would be to sell all three and replace with a new MBP to suit - depends how much you appreciate the big screen (and you could always use the iMac in external monitor mode with the MBP if a suitable model/age.

3. msbisa thread starter macrumors newbie

I know this but I don't know why I feel more sure on a notebook.

A MBP of 2011 will suit my needs? I'll do some "tablet work" like watching videos on it but also some heavy work (Photoshop/Lightroom).

I found a MPB of late 2011 with this characteristics (hd 500gb, ram 4gb, lion 10.8.4) at 550€, is it worth?

Thanks a lot,
    Matteo

4. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Why not a Macbook Air? If you have an iMac at home I guess you don't need loads of storage on the go. For a little bit more you get an 11" Air:
    http://www.refurb.me/it/notebook

5. msbisa thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, I can get also a MBA.
    But a 11" is bigger enough?
    Do you recommend me the newer MBA or i can get an older one?

6. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I would definitely get the 2013 or 2014 model - vastly improved battery life.

11" or 13" is a difficult question (many discussions around that in the MacBook Air forum).
    The 11" is really nice and small (not much bigger than an iPad), so really great for travelling. The advantage of the 13" is an even longer battery life (12 hours vs. 9 hours) and it has an SD card slot. And of course a bigger screen but if you need it is a personal question.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I feel more secure buying via the Amazon or eBay apps on my iPad than via a browser. The iPad apps have little access to other resources and other apps can't access them.

Photo post production is one place where I need a Mac over an iPad. while i can do some simple editing on the iPad it just doesn't cut it for any significant work.