Old Macbook Pro RAM Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steiney, Sep 7, 2010.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I have a Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, model identifier "A1211". I want to upgrade the RAM to 4 Gigs. I have done some research and keep getting conflicting answers. Some sites say that I can install a matching pair of 2 gig chips,but that only 3 gigs will be addressed. Other sites tell me that while 4 gigs is not officially supported, my computer will accept and recognize it.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge or previous experience on this topic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

steiney

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only 3GB will be recognized because of the chipset

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ore-2-duo-3-gb-memory-limitation-details.html

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thank you Hellhammer for the quick response.

So basically, other than not being able to use all the RAM beyond the 3 gigs, nothing bad will happen, and the computer will function properly?

steiney

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, 4GB will work fine and "About this Mac" will show 4GB but in Activity Monitor, you will see that only 3GB can be used. Besides, using matched pairs enables dual-channeling which gives ~5% boost

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. I didn't know that matched pairs boost performance, although I had read that it is recommended to use matched pairs. I have two 1 gig chips now, so I suppose I won't realize the boost since I'm already getting it. I'll just see roughly 1 gig of increased performance, so to speak.

One more question, if you don't mind: It looks like the brands I have to choose from, at least on Other World Computing (eshop.macsales.com) are the house brand (OWC), Micron and Samsung. Would you recommend one over the others? The price difference between them is very small, so it wouldn't be a big deal to go for the best one (most expensive).

Thanks again!

steiney

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just get the cheapest (OWC I think), it's great quality with enormous warranty. You won't notice the difference between the brands so paying more is quite useless

7. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool

Great! Thanks again. I ordered it today. Can't wait to install it and see the difference.