Old MacBook Pro VS. Current MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimmyTheHutt, Sep 12, 2008.

1. JimmyTheHutt macrumors newbie

My current notebook (OLD Dell Inspiron 8200) is dying. The memory controller is going out little by little every day. So I need a new notebook, and I am aiming at a MacBook Pro. I work as a software developer, in Java, so I'm not really limited by platform. However, my question is this: Smalldog.com currently has a special on for a last gen MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, HD Display, and Applecare for $2529 (see here). However, via my employer, I can get a current gen (refurb) from the Apple Store with HD Display and no Applecare for about the same price. As there are many experts here, I ask how the older MacBook Pro stacks up against the current one. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Smalldog deal. You're not going to see a performance difference, and AppleCare is, what, $369?

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Applecare is $199 on eBay.

4. twist2b macrumors regular

how does that work, can you get apple care for 199 on ebay and use it like 4 years AFTER you buy your mac? (assuming you buy the apple care 4 years later)

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No.

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Applecare needs to be Purchased and registered before your 1 year Apple Warranty has ended. It adds 2 more years of Warranty. You can purchase it from Apple for $349, or find deals for it, including eBay for as little as $199. It is just a box with a Registration number which you register with Apple.

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yeah, I know about the ebay deals, but ebay gives me the willies. I don't trust anybody. LA Computer has it for about 100 bucks off, but I still think that, overall, the Smalldog deal in this case is the way to go.

8. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Why not just get a brand new base model MBP for $1799 from Macmall? Trust me the base model is very powerful and macmall is a great deal (similar to an education discount). You can always add on Apple Care later on (within a year).

I would go brand new any day of the week, especially when it's a good deal such as this!

Kan-O-Z

9. JimmyTheHutt thread starter macrumors newbie

The Smalldog deal is for a new one, albeit older gen (chipset and video RAM being the important differences), and it has the HD Display, which is important to me. The refurb also has the HD Display with newer chipset and more video RAM, but no Applecare and less system RAM.

Do you have a link to the deal on MacMall?

Thanks in advance!

10. JimmyTheHutt thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the way I've been leaning. Are you aware of any heat issues or other problems with the prior gen/rev?

Thanks in advance!

11. dchen720 macrumors member

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It'll be fine, but don't wait so long the deal disappears - at either Smalldog or the refurb store.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd buy it if I didn't have my current computer.

14. drossad macrumors regular

I'd go for the new previous generation MBP. That's what I did. You won't be disappointed. Plus it seems like the better deal (more RAM and Applecare). You will only miss out on the multitouch (but how much would you really use that) and a bigger hard drive. Plus, a new MBP is always more fun to open than a refurb and you'll be the only owner, two very valuable points in my opinion.

15. JimmyTheHutt thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a done deal. I ordered the deal from Smalldog, as it was just too good to pass up. So in 3 business days time, I will begin my break from Windows. Yay, me!

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Wow thats an *amazing* deal for a brand new 17"!!
    I might just have to get the 17 instead of the 15 at that price!

One question, how much better is the high-res screen on the 17" as opposed to say a regular matte screen on the 15"?