Old MacBook Pro VS New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thiagos, Oct 16, 2008.

?

Design: Old MacBook Pro VS New MacBook Pro

Poll closed Sep 1, 2009.
  1. I love the new design.

87 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. The new design is ok.

23 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. It looks like a Sony laptop.

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. I expected more for a PRO machine.

25 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I don't know why but there is something about the old MacBook Pro that makes it more appealing to me...Maybe it is the silver keyboard.

Although the old MacBook Pro, looked dated, a few refinements would have made it a beautiful machine.

I have a MacBook Air which I love but I expected more for a Pro machine...I don't know, something's missing... I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the black keys on a Pro machine.

The black glossy edges around the screen (glass) is a nice touch but they should have made the edges thinner like the old MacBook Pro, I like to see the screen only.

What do you guys think?

2. guest8t88 macrumors member

Thin edge around the screen here.
    Thou I like the new design, but to love it, nah.
    The old is nice too and you can fix it up alittle.

3. crobbins macrumors 6502

I think they did a pretty good job with the new design. I think people will get used to it over time. It seems there is always quite a bit of complaining these days when Apple changes something..(Even if there were complaints that the change needed to happen) :rolleyes:

4. PDE macrumors 68020

I think the new design is beautiful - not the black parts, but the way everything is 100% solid and fits together without protrusions and warping like the old one. Now, there will be very little variance in assembly compared to the old one which often varied depending on the attention to detail of whoever put it together. I just looked at the disassembly pictures and it's amazingly beautiful inside too. I think this must be the most elegantly designed laptop Apple has built, especially if you consider how it's put together both internally and externally.

I WANT one! But I can't have one right now.

What I don't like:

- the glass is crazily reflective based on pictures available. Why do we need glass like that?
    - I don't really like the way the black goes with silver. Not very smooth...though it should be nice when watching movies to have that black frame.

5. guest8t88 macrumors member

My only basic problem with the new design is the lack of an 17" model.
    Made my first time purchase of Mac abit more difficult.

6. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Well the 17 will come out eventually. Just be patient.

7. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Love it. I'd gladly put in my current MBP's parts into the new casing if I could.

Unfortunately the lack of power over the previous generation and the poor implementation of Hybrid SLI makes me glad that I didn't wait. :)

9. guest8t88 macrumors member

Depends on when, cause I have waited for 3 months and been without a computer for 1½ now.
    My patience is wearing thin, especially since there is no solid information.

10. guest8t88 macrumors member

Okay, I did not buy a mac today, but seing the new design and using the new mousepad, made me decide to wait for the 17", which seems to be coming, or just in a few weeks buy the 15,4"

All of this made me think, well look at it this way.
    Apple may keep their cards close, but if the 17" was not to be redesigned or atleast upgrated with hardware and the new mousepad, which is really silky, then I now believe that they would have said so.
    People speculate, and that is how it is, but a clean announcment from Apple, should go the 17" will only be changed alittle hardware wise, but will eventuall go out of production. They have not, so I put my faith in that they will release it. And in the end it will be around two weeks before I can get my Macbook, should I go 15,4". So why not give it a wait.

Bottomline is that the new design is really nice, the old is not bad compared to it, but the mousepad is so much sweeter on the new.

11. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

The new design is awesome, but I'm not sure how I feel about the new keyboard.
    I'm not ditching my old MBP for a long time!

12. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I'm not a big fan of the black keyboard either.

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

New design is ok...but I'm still happy with mine.

14. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket silver keyboard out by now considering allot of people feel unsure about the black keyboard.

15. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

"A glorious pilgrimage. straight into what might be the mind of God?... I do. I do."

Those were my first thoughts when I looked into that black glass screen. Then I turned it on.

"And darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

And I'm an atheist.

16. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Personally, I think they look a little bland. I still think that, aside from hinge issues and flaking paint, the Titanium PowerBook was one of the best-looking laptops Apple has ever come out with. I do still like the Aluminum PowerBooks and MacBook Pros though; they're much better structurally than the TiBook, which is why I have one (12" PowerBook 1.5GHz).

One thing the TiBook and AlBooks had that I really miss on the new Unibodies is the thin screen bezel. Thick bezels have always reminded me of cheap laptops, and continue to do so. I suppose it's all just personal preference. The keyboards on the unibodies is amazingly solid, another thing that means a great deal to me. Of course, I've always been impressed with the solidness of the keyboard on my PowerBook, so the point is slightly moot.

Overall, I think they're extremely nice laptops; the overall look is a little bit of a kickback to the TiBook, which is always welcome, but I do miss how impressive the older aluminum design looked. I'll prolly get used to it :D

17. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Just got a brand new Late '08, 15" MBP a couple weeks ago (from my college). While I do enjoy looking at other people's glossy displays more and more, I sure do love my matte (and everything else about it as it's my first new Mac in 10 years). :D

There are many things about the Unibody that I dislike when compared to the previous models, but that's just me.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

LOL, if the only things you feel are lacking from the MacBook Pro are aesthetic then you don't really need a Pro.

The OldBook Pro had a big-ass bezel as well. You'd have to go back to the TiBook before you have a small bezel worth mentioning.

PS> I love the new design and prefer it to the OldBook Pro; however, the only thing I miss from that Powerbook-era design is the way they handled the speaker grill and power button.

19. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Hedge your bets! (knock on wood...):p

20. wgarrison macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro's (Early 2008) superdrive casing/cover is bent, because my girlfriend would pick it up with one hand (right where the superdrive is). Because of how Apple designed the older Macbook Pros, this was a weak-spot.

If I had a unibody model, this wouldn't have happened. Therefore, I love the new Macbook Pros (for other reasons, as well).

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The new design blows the old design out of the water!

[​IMG]
    The old mbp looks like a tin can compared to the new design. :D

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im just glad they no longer have the front loading optical drive anymore. i hated that.

23. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I like the old keyboard, matte 15", and the Dual-Link DVI built in. Other than that new MBP all the way. Thought of upgrading and played with a unibody for awhile but the issues with the DisplayPort->Dual-Link is just too worrisome.

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I love the new design but ALSO expected more from a pro machine, seriously they should have considered quad core for the 17" and blu-ray burners.

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Quad core is probably coming sometime Q4 of this year or Q1 of early next year on the 17" mbp.

I'm going to wait for quad core to plunk down $3000 for the 17" mbp. :D