Old Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pvtspoon, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Pvtspoon macrumors newbie

Ive got an old macbook pro A1260 2.4ghz C2D 3Gb ram late 2006/07 that ive only been using to watch Cable t.v on using a usb microTv as im on my main gaming Rig, but late some of the software stoped updage so thought its about time i went & upgraded the OS to Snow leopard then move up the tree till it wont upgradr anymore ive got a 15"snow leopard macbookpro gery Dvdbut it wont install at all just says Mac OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer with a big yellow triangle, ive tryed booting from the disk still does the same thing but cant even use the disk utility to format the drive all the option are grayed out

What im i doing wrong ?, please dont say buy new macbook pro as some of us dont never ending pockets of money

Thanks for any help

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

First, please use sentences. I'm having a hard time reading your post.

Second, the OSX restore disc included with a newer Mac may not work on your old MBP.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Seeing as it's a 2.4GHz model, it sounds like it's a Mid 2007 MBP. This will run all the way up to the current OS X Yosemite if you want.

If you have access to a Mac running at least 10.6, you should be able to download the Yosemite installer from the App Store and use DiskMaker X to put it on a flash drive. Then you can install it from that.

If it's an '06 model, you can get it up to Lion, which is still available from Apple.

If you want Snow Leopard specifically, you can still get it from Apple for $20.

This machine is actually quite capable. I had one not too long ago and it ran Mavericks great with an SSD upgrade and 4GB RAM. It'll go to 6GB too. Yosemite shouldn't be much different, but it really helps to have a fast drive in it. Otherwise Snow Leopard will be the smoothest on the stock HDD.

4. Pvtspoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

just want to upgrade the OS so the updates work really. how is the $20 Snow Leopard from apple diffrent to a Snow leopard from a 2010 Macbook pro ?

can see an SSD upgrade coming soon hehe

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'd stick with Mavericks as the latest OS you can upgrade to. I currently have a 2007 iMac, 2008 iMac, and 2008 MBP - all C2Ds, on mavericks. Two have SSDs, one has a 7200 RPM HDD, an all are working nicely. Similar hardware on Yosemite would be less than ideal, or so I've heard. The graphics, or lack there of, seems to be the biggest impediment. That and the amount of RAM required in Yosemite is cutting it too close for these older machines.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The OSX install disc for a different model wasn't made for your Mac, so it probably won't work.

As I said in my original reply:

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Grey restore discs are machine specific. They won't work with your machine, you'll have to buy a retail copy.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

FWIW, when I called and bought my copy of SL Server a few weeks back, the lady I talked to told me that it was only possible to upgrade to Mountain Lion using the Snow Leopard app store. I haven't personally tested it, although I think I could bypass it if I wanted to as I have Mavericks in my purchase history. I sort of ignored most of that conversation, as I was buying SL server specifically for a computer that can't run anything newer than SL(CoreDuo Mini)

When I bought a 2008 Macbook Pro last week(pre-Unibody-not a lot different from the OP's), it came with no OS installed. I keep a copy of the Mavericks installer saved on my main Macbook Pro(you never know when it might mysteriously disappear from the App store-as of now I think it's only accessible if you'd already downloaded it). As an expedient way of getting it running, I made a bootable Mavericks USB(there are free programs out there that make this fast and easy) and installed from that.

I also bought a copy of SL Client and have that particular computer set up to dual boot. It could run Yosemite, but I don't really want to.