Old Macbook Ruining Good Chargers

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by goteborg, Jul 2, 2011.

1. goteborg macrumors newbie

I have a regular Macbook that was purchased in 2006 (Possibly the first type of Macbook that came out?)

It's been working great all this time but recently my charger only charged it sometimes and finally it stopped charging altogether. I have found lots of info on this online BUT everybody seems to think it is the Charger that is broken. However I think it is a problem with the computer (or battery) itself, can that be it?

The reason I think this is because I started using my boyfriend's charger to his new (2010) Macbook Pro. (We've been sharing). Now his charger sometimes doesn't work on my computer. The charger even screws up on his computer now sometimes.

What I think is that there is a problem in my computer or battery that is ruining chargers. Does anybody else think this can be it? Isn't it too much of a coincidence that my boyfriend's new charger would stop working after just a couple months of being used on my computer?

What can the problem be? How can this be fixed? Easiest would be to buy a new computer but I really can't afford it now. Seems wasteful to keep buying and breaking chargers... Seems too much of a coincidence that all chargers are faulty.

I know it wasn't the exact charger made for my computer but I can't find those for sale (used) anywhere. And plus the charger that WAS made for my computer broke too so I don't think that is it either. I'm not an expert though, anyone who IS and has some insight?? :) Thanks!!!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I think it's the combination of two things:

1) The strain on the cords causes the chargers to fail.
    2) You're doing something your boyfriend wasn't to put strain on the cord.

Your MacBook is not ruining chargers.

3. goteborg thread starter macrumors newbie

Cord Strain

Hi! Thanks for your response! It's nice to hear that my computer isn't spreading some disease to all chargers attached to it :)

So do you mean that the chargers are getting ruined because of something I'm doing? Could it be getting too hot? (does get quite hot...) Or am I bending it too much or something? So is this just a contact problem or is there something I'm not understanding right?

Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid the charger's condition getting worse?

If I were to try to fix my old one (it is dead anyway so it's worth a try) do you think the cord is messed up near the power brick or right on the magnetic part that attaches to the computer?

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Coupe of suggestions - check the magnetic connection on the side of the 2006 MacBook - they have a habit of collecting small bits of metal - give it a good clean.

Secondly - what kind of condition is the MacBook battery in - go to Apple menu>about this mac>more info>power.....what is the number of cycles on the battery ? Full charge capacity ?