Old macbook screen is giving out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aardvarkr, Nov 14, 2011.

1. aardvarkr macrumors newbie

My problem is the screen only works half of the time. If I move the screen sometimes it will stop refreshing (shows the same image on the screen) until readjusted. Other times it will have a horizontal line where the pixels are offset by one. I've noticed the screen's backlight pulsing once or twice. More recently, the screen strops refreshing, turns greyscale and starts to fade to a single gray.

My best guess is the wiring has become faulty of years of use and abuse. The screen has been forced back past its limits (not on purpose) and there is a crack on the bezel (lower left side) to give you a clue of how bad it is.

My question: What is the problem and is it possible to fix this damage? I have ordered a new bezel and plan on replacing it over thanksgiving break. During this procedure I plan on tightening the screen connectors and looking for any other obvious problems.

I have a 2007 pre-unibody intel core 2 duo macbook pro 15".This thing has been there with me through thick and thin and the case has the scars to prove it. It has survived two drops like a champ. Still going strong minus the screen problems.

2. coldnight macrumors newbie

Two drops... that must be the reason for the screen issues. I see my aunt still using a 2006 macbook pro (i use a late 2011 15inch mbp, so im fine :D) and her screen still works like a charm. I would suggest to try and call apple and see if they would fix it... if not then buy a new macbook pro or even a air if you want to save money! they are brand new, with OS X Lion preinstalled.

3. aardvarkr thread starter macrumors newbie

The damage was caused by opening the screen too far and it simply got worse as it was used more. I'm not interested in replacing it. I came to this community to see if anyone has gone through this score and could offer advice for fixing it or help me understand the root of the problem.