Price Advice old macbook sitting there collecting dust what should i do with it.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zyr123, Mar 26, 2012.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

My macbook needs a new logic board apple wanted to charge me 750. i didn't, 5 months i got the 15 inch pro. Should i fix my macbook so i have second computer? or sell it for parts.

2. simsaladimbamba

You could get a logic board for less via eBay and use one of the guides on iFixIt or YouTube to fix it or donate/sell it. It is up to you and your skills to repair such machines and your will.

3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I agree. eBay the best place for a lot of stuff. I have bought three macs off of eBay, with no problem. That is a horrible price for a logic board repair, though. Come on apple! Do you really not believe on reviving dead macs? You could buy a Mac mini with $$ to spare with that much (that might be what they are thinking)!!!

/rant

Sorry.
    In answer to your title question, it depends on what you want. Think to yourself "do I really need, or even want this MacBook? Is repairing it worth the trouble?" if so, then I'd say go ahead and do it. If not, your probably better off selling it on eBay or even Craigslist.

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

No, they do not. They care about doubling their profits (original purchase, repair).

Unless the OP is particularly tied to the laptop or crafty, I would suggest just dumping for parts or whole to the highest bidder on one of those sites.

5. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Sorry, that was an overreaction. Apple does offer some good repair services, and very good service about it. I still think that price is high, though.

6. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

response

Can you give me links to the logic boards. its the 2009 model 2.0 ghz 100 gb stock.

if not the screen and battery are working fine. How much money can i get from them?

Mac mini is a great idea i never though of that.

What specs do u recommend?

my average day:
    you tube games
    full 1080 p video editing
    with different frame rates.

7. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100