Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skybar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry, had no idea where it would fit in best..

When I was younger (I was 4-8 years old something - the timeframe was 1993-1998 I think) I went to work with dad from time to time. At his workplace they had a Macintosh (it was an old one - think Classic II or something like it), which had a screensaver with fireworks. I liked it very much, I would just sit and stare at it for hours. It was a very simple screensaver really, but still very beautiful for a small boy. A small line would shoot out from the bottom of the screen, it went up in an arc and before it dropped down it exploded in several lines which were colored.

The screen was otherwise black, but where the firework-"lines" had previously been it was grey. In otherwords, after one firework had done its thing you could still see the trajectory and explosion as an "imprint" in grey.

Why am I telling you all this? I want this screensaver so damn bad! And I cant find it anywhere at all, and I thought maybe someone here would have a clue what I am talking about.

It was not the screensaver called "Pyro" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIxO7iukW5s).
It looked a lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VnkgrSczo (its the one shown 0:07-0:23), but not as fancy, a lot simpler.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
If you also had flying toasters in the same screensaver pack. You probably had After Dark by Berkeley Systems. I used to have it on my Performa 636 and my road apples. I loved After Dark. Reminds of the simpler days.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Wow! After Dark! That certainly does bring back those memories - it just goes to show how computers have developed. In those days, After Dark graphics were sooo advanced! :)

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Wow! After Dark! That certainly does bring back those memories - it just goes to show how computers have developed. In those days, After Dark graphics were sooo advanced! :)

After Dark with the dog that came out and ripped cables on the screen? That was great fun my kinds loved that one.

Skybar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Thank you guys, After Dark seems to be it! However, I can't find anything compatible with Snow Leopard.. I found an updated version called 'After Dark X' created by Infinisys, but that one only works with PPC (OS X 10.0-10.4 in other words).

So it seems no one has gone through the trouble to bring it to the Intel platform.. Damn :(

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Anyone know where to find that old Pyro screensaver? I'd like to download it for my Classic Mac.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Was After Dark the one that had Bill Gates come out in a window washing setup and clean the screen? I remember all the old screen savers from my dads old Macintoshes... oh the memories

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.