Old Macintosh with Mic holder

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Roncanator, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Roncanator macrumors newbie

Hi first post for me but long time MacRumors reader. I love the site.

So as a kid we had an old Macintosh which had a mic holder. However as I was young I cannot remember what the model computer was called. It couldve been a Classic or Classic II but not sure. We had it in the years around 1998-2002 but it was handed to us from a friend. Does anyone know/have a Macintosh of around probably 1990+ that had a microphone holder on it. I know it was screwed on with does help but whether it was a accessory or an original part of the Mac. If anyone knows which model this could be it would be greatly appreciated as I would love to get the computer to buy for some great nostalgia.

Thanks,
    Roncanator

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you remember anything else about it? Like the size? Colour? Startup chime?

3. Roncanator thread starter macrumors newbie

I do remember it was an all-in-one computer. My thoughts have definitely been one of the Classics. I think it had a colour screen but I dont think it was a colour classic because I remember it being boxier and not that curved. Colour? I think it was that kind of creme computer colour every hardware maker was so smitten with at that point in time. The chime Im not sure about. It could be the one they use on all their modern computers. Not sure about that though sorry.

Does this help in any way?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. Roncanator thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. Looking through those it may have been the Colour Classic II. It sure does look familiar. It does have the shape I can remember and the colour screen. Maybe the microphone holder was an accessory. Would you know about that at all? Thanks.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

7. Roncanator, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

Roncanator thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah just found pictures of the classic II with the mic holder accessory and its definitely that one. Thanks so much Intell! Now to hunt one down!:D

8. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Pretty sure it was an accessory with all macs around that time, as we bought an LCII brand new and it had one, remember it stuck to the side of the 14" RGB screen.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ that's how I remember it. The Classic, IIsi and LC were the first Macs released with a built-in audio input, and I *think* the microphone (with holder) was standard on all of them.

10. MacTech68, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

IIRC, all of the compacts/all-in-one machines with color screens (LC575, LC580, Color Classic, Color ClassicII, LC520) all had inbuilt microphones just above the screen. An external microphone could be added but I don't think they were supplied as standard.

The original Mac Classic didn't have an audio in jack but the Classic II was the first compact Mac to have a microphone port so the old un-powered microphone would have been supplied.

Pizza Box macs of the time (LC, LCII, LCII LC475 etc) would also have been supplied with the un-powered microphone and yes, most stuck it to the side of the 14" Color Display.

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

12. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Heh, another tidbit:

Some of the late "Mac Classic" models used the rear case of the "Classic II" with the microphone port covered with a plastic plug.

:eek:

13. Roncanator thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats the microphone I remember. Was that the standard one they used on all their computers at that time? Or was it specific to some models?

These are great little tidbits of information! Very interesting:)

14. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

That was the only microphone from around that time, until Apple introduced newer Macs (Quadras and later PPC) with a powered microphone jack. The plug was longer and the microphone changed from round to this. Apple called it the "PlainTalk" microphone.