Old MBP (512mb) vs New MBP (512mb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iag48, Jan 1, 2009.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

I remember reading a thread here that compared the two models in gaming performance but I cannot find that thread anymore.

I am not a hardcore gamer but I just wish I can do more with my black macbook. Therefore I am looking to buy the old mbp 512mb from the refurbished site.

If I remember correctly the old mbp performed better than the new one while gamiing?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your response. I am aware that the new one has 2 cards, which is awesome. However, when it came down to raw performance in games, the old one out performed the new one (despite the slower ram, and clock speed). I just want to re-read the article to be sure.

Thanks.

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

That wouldn't make much sense. The only way I could see that happening would be if they were testing the 8600GT against the 9400M, and not the 9600GT. Might also happen if the chips were overheating and throttled themselves down.

As far as I've read, the new MBP out-performs the old one across the board. However, I have read about people experiencing crashes while playing games with the new MBPs. Plenty of threads around here about that.

Where is the article?

5. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

bleh I have been looking for it all day. It had charts of the benchmarks. I think one of the reasons was because of the drivers.

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, drivers could be an issue for certain games, I could see that affecting a game or two, but I find it unlikely that Apple would let the new MBPs ship with drivers that delivered worse performance than the previous computer on better hardware across the board. Stranger things have happened, but that's unlikely.

7. pointandclick macrumors regular

The new one will be faster, but not by a whole lot.
    There's not a world of difference between the 8 and 9 series cards.

Factor in that the x600 cards aren't really gaming cards anyway, and the insane discounts you can get on the old models, it's a no brainer IMO.;)
    http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbookpro/

Trying to game on a laptop (actually gaming in general:p) is a lesson in frustration. There's always something better. Look for something that will do what you want to do and has the best bang/buck.