Old MBP Buying Risk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSpoody 1243, Nov 2, 2008.

1. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

okay, i want to buy one of the old 2.4 ghz mbps which are reduced for clearance.
    What exactly is the problem with the 8600m gt gpu?
    i have read through multiple threads but cant get a direct answer.
    i do not want to be having any problems with my investment.
    How common is the problem?
    Please help, i want this laptop but am confused with its issues

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Some people have the issue; some people don't. It's supposedly that it would overheat and fail, but like I said, most people don't have the issue. If you do Apple will repair it for free.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I assume it is a new machine guaranteed for one year (three with AppleCare), and maybe longer for this particular issue... If it does not break within three years, it probably does not have the problem. I'd feel safe getting this one, but would stlll buy AppleCare (on eBay) in the 11th month regardless of reported issues.

4. iSpoody 1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

oh okay,
    so some people get the issue but its fixed by apple easily.
    Awesome
    Im gonna get this laptop in 3 days and will get the applecare about 3 months into having the laptop.
    oh my gawd,
    the way some people were talkin about this mbp was like apple was shipping dead computers to the store,
    thanks for the help
    i fell safer now!

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It supposedly isnt fixable as Apple will only replaced a failed faulty GPU with another faulty GPU that will fail eventually

6. iSpoody 1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This would be my advice, too. Most of the "old" MBPs work very well (mine does) and Apple will address the nVidia issue (if necessary) if the computer is still under warranty or is covered by Applecare. It is a terrific computer, and is powerful, has great performance, an attractive aesthetic and is equipped with a superb screen.

Cheers and good luck

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

buy it. you have 2 years (3 if you buy applecare) to get the gpu fixed if it fails. i have had zero problems with mine.

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thats only speculation, no none knows that for sure. As far as we know Nvidia has fixed the problem by using better solder material. Its highly unlikely they'd knowingly keep shipping out GPUs w/ the same weak solder as they'd be opening themselves to a *****storm that could bankrupt the company. Nvidia must know all eyes are on how they're handling this situation.

fyi the GPUs, as in the chips aren't faulty in themselves, its only the solder. Would seem to be an easy fix in the manufacturing process.

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i'd get a "classic" MBP than the new uni with all the problems it has.

My friend is on his 2nd late 2008 and it still has sleep issues. Kinda funny how his situation came about.. he previously had a first gen MBP which got its LCD replaced 4 times. he exchanged that 2 weeks ago with a new UMBP that apple sent him, which he exchanged yet again for a flickering screen and sleep issues. Now he has experience with 2 first gen computers and its not good.