Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Can anyone comment on the difference between these two?

I'm looking at a refurbished MBP 2.4, possibly with the glossy display. From what I can recall, the glossy displays on this previous gen MBP's were bright and vibrant and not nearly as reflective.

I'm thinking this could be a nice compromise between a dull matte and the super reflective glossiness of the current Aluminum MBP.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Old MBP glossy is just that...classic glossy/saturated/pretty. New MBP Glossy is essentially a mirror. I would've said go for the new one given the infamous issues with the 8600GT but it seems the 9600GT/9400M aren't exactly great either and are equally as likely to give you problems

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
By mirror he means its as reflective as the CRT monitor you used for a decade. If you were ok with that then the new glass screen will be fine.

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Can anyone comment on the difference between these two?

I'm looking at a refurbished MBP 2.4, possibly with the glossy display. From what I can recall, the glossy displays on this previous gen MBP's were bright and vibrant and not nearly as reflective.

I'm thinking this could be a nice compromise between a dull matte and the super reflective glossiness of the current Aluminum MBP.

I agree, I think the previous generation MBP with glossy is a better deal. The new unibody, MBP is a nice design, but the previous generation MBP has better functionality. You have 400 Firewire Port, it also has a DVI port with a DVI to VGA adapter included. There is no performance benefit. And yes, the glassy screen on the new unibody MBP's are just annoying. Apple needs to give an anti-glare option for those. Anyway, my opinion is you are better off with a previous generation MBP. I also thing MacMall still has a few brand new in the box at a good discount.

sputnik666

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
As has been previously stated, the CRT was (still?) the most accurate way of viewing images & colours (hyper glossy screen). I also had the dilemma/matte dilemma. I got glossy and I think its great (at least for my needs). I think the new glossies are meant to be better than previous ones. Good luck!

NickM

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Gloss FTW :D

It's not as bad as some people make... I hardly notice it, and have it on 100% brightness all the time!

I simply can't understand all the complaining about the glossy screens. I like it so much better than the matte screen.
Are you people only using it outside? While the sun is directly behind you and shining on the screen?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I don't hate the glossy screen completely. I think it's something to do with the extent of the reflectivity of the new ones.

I found this at AnandTech which give me a better sense between the two glossy versions.
The matte is really dull, but the old glossy looks pretty good.

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
I simply can't understand all the complaining about the glossy screens. I like it so much better than the matte screen.
Are you people only using it outside? While the sun is directly behind you and shining on the screen?

If there were the Matte screen would almost be worse.

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
Ah, another glossy screen thread. The new glossy screen is gorgeous as can be, more vibrant than ever before, and the reflection is in no way "like a mirror".

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
Not like a mirror. If you sit right next to a window, then the reflection can get a bit annoying. fluorescent lights also make a bit larger of an impact. But I have been unable to product "mirror-like" results. It's simply not that bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.