"Old" MBP Hard Drive Upgrade Question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pak^Man, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hi All,

I just bought a real antique MBP.... Core Duo 2.16!! (My first Pro...)

I want to upgrade the HDD to a 320GB WD as I did with my Blackbook 3 months ago. But the process to upgarde this baby is little more complicated.

The MBP is under applecare until November 2009. Will upfrading the HDD before then void the Applecare??

Thanks in advance!!

2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

If you experience an issue and its related to the Hard drive, then your warranty will not cover it.. If its due to something unrelated to the hard drive then you're fine.

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

From what I hear, it's a pain in the iButt to replace.

It won't void the Warranty, but if you break anything in the process of installing the new HD, that is on you.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

go for it, although I would keep the original hdd just incase you take it in for service. some service centers are dickish and will look for any reason to blame the user for a hardware failure, even if it really has nothing to do w/ the user. just good to cover all bases ;)

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I have one and upgraded to Seagate 320GB 7200. It can be time consuming (After working on so many, it takes me 20 mins); abt 45mins-1hr for most new people. The key is to make sure you have the right tools, keep track of what screws came from where and be very careful removing the ribbon cable that's stuck to the original drive.

As to warranty, while some Apple store employees are picky, I find the depot folks (mail in service) and authorized service center (small independent shops) will usually just fix what's broken, as long as it's not the drive you installed.

Cheers,

6. r88my macrumors regular

Try ifixit.com for a walkthrough, its not too bad at all.

7. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Okay then...

I think I'll risk it.... will order the drive today.

Thanks much!!

8. tastychicken macrumors member

I've installed the same HD into my MBP. To me it was pretty easy to do. Just take your time and go slow. I would get a ice cube tray and put your screws in them so you don't loose them. The only difficult part was getting the front cover off. It feels like your breaking it but your not. Good luck.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I replaced mine on the same model. It's basically taking out a LOT of screws that is the main issue. I think ifixit has a detailed how-to on this. I got mine done and only almost destroyed the keyboard b/c I didn't remove 4 screws holding part of it in.

It's hard, but it's not impossible. If you haven't worked on computers before, I would HIGHLY recommend paying someone to do it.

Oh yeah, you need to get an external enclosure, put the new drive in it, and then use a cloning software to put it on your new drive. Someone else will tell you what the best one is. I used Super Duper myself.

FYI, you should love that MBP. I've had mine since April 2007 and have had almost zero problems with it. Just get one of those USB-powered fans to put under it, preferrably one with USB ports. No such thing as too much cooling!