Old MBP harddrive converted into external; what do I keep?!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by makeminemaudlin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. makeminemaudlin macrumors newbie

Thanks for reading, folks!

My old MBP died (logic board problems) so I got a SATA external enclosure for the HD. My problem: I don't know what to delete from the HD (since it has the full OS on it currently) such that anything I want to save from it will function correctly. For example, I want to keep my catalog for Lightroom in full working order. What do I do to make sure that happens? What about Pages? You get the point.

I have transferred my entire user folder to another computer already. Is that it? What about applications? If I get rid of those, what will happen when I delete the Library? Will the programs still be functional?

And question 2: How do I go about formatting the HD?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

as far as formatting goes, do you use windows on your Mac, or do you find that you transfer files (large files) from a PC to your Mac? If not, i would stay with Journalized Mac OS.

For the Lightroom question, i would think that if you drag over your files to your internal HD (unless you want to keep them on your new external) and put them in the same folder path they are in currently. Like for instance, when i backed up my iTunes and installed a new internal HD into my MBP, i moved the files into the path where iTunes is. HD/Music/iTunes . I don't use LR, so i don't know where they are stored. As long as it is in the same place they were, you should have no problems..

The program files, well, that is up to you. I keep all my programs on my internal. If you have the disks, then you could start fresh.. No need to keep the OS on the external, as it will be a waste of space..