Old MBP HardDrive in new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AHDuke99, Aug 31, 2011.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I am sure it is not this simple, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I just upgraded my old C2D 2.8ghz MBP to a 2.3i7 model. My old MBP is running Lion and the like, just like my new one. The only difference is my old one has a 7200rpm drive as opposed to a 5400rpm drive in the new one. Could I simply swap out the HDs before I sell my old machine? Or will the old HD lack the graphic drivers to run as is on the new MBP? I read a case where someone had to clone a drive and then reimage it etc. I'm not sure all of that is worth it, although I don't know how upgrading the HD will effect this new machine. It may be worth it.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would suggest not using the old MBP HD in the new MBP due to missing drivers. You could create more problems.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You should have no problem. If you just run the update it should correct anything that might be missing. When I moved from my 2008 to my 2011, I just pulled the drive and put it into the new MBP. I ran the updates and everything was correctly updated and I have had no problems since (this was under SL). When I installed Lion, i just downloaded the installer and upgraded the Late 2009 min server, the wife's 13 (2011) and my 15 (2011) from the same installer, so you should be fine.

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

drivers are on the OS, chances are if the connections are the same it will still work. Yeah that hard drive should work.

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I just did this with my old 2006 mbp, I took my SSD out of it and dropped it into my 2011 13" mbp and it booted into SL just fine. Then I went ahead and did a fresh install of lion. This are great!

There will be no problems swapping your drives!

6. RayK macrumors 6502