Old MBP Needs hard drive replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Feefemon, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Feefemon macrumors newbie

So, my Macbook Pro won't boot (model A1150). I followed all the steps in this guide and it still will only boot in safe mode, even after I reinstalled the OS. So now what? I'm thinking of replacing the hard drive (current capacity is 120gb) with this in hopes that that will solve my problem.

Will replacing the hard drive fix my problem? Also, is this part compatible? Thanks.

And if anyone could tell me (or point to a guide that will) how to install the OS once the new hard drive is installed it would be greatly appreciated.

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Hey that hard drive you looked at will work but... if it costs you $52 for a 250 gb you can probably get a 500 GB HDD 5400 rpm for like $60, i recently replaced my 160 GB HDD in my old macbook cause it dies, it was $9 to double the hard drive size to 500 GB, and as far as re booting your system just insert either your original install disks that came with your mac or insert snow leopard upgrade, you can install the full os off the os upgrade. once installed you can migrate all your information if you have a time machine backup.

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

If you are able to boot in "Safe Mode" then your Hard Drive isn't the problem. Your Hard Drive has to be working to get that far. You can't boot an OS (even in safe mode) without a working hard disk.

4. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

As long as you have video and power etc It dose not hurt to try. I have replaced my HD with this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._WD6400BEVT_640GB_5400-_-22-136-459-_-Product and am quite happy with the results.

I found this Ifixit guide to be very helpful http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...Inch-Model-A1150-Hard-Drive-Replacement/486/1 I print it out, put tape loops or double sided tape, on each step to stick the screws to so I get the right screw in the right set of holes. Works like a charm.

5. Feefemon thread starter macrumors newbie

Then what could be causing the problem?

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I wish I knew the answer to that. I just didn't want you to go buy a new Hard Drive since that wasn't the problem.

I am not an expert at Mac OS.... I just know the OS is stored on the Hard Drive... so therefore logic Dictates that if you are even getting an OS to actually boot... then the drive is working.

If you would buy a new HDD... it would probably end up resolving your issue because you would get a true "Fresh" install of OS.

I have never reinstalled Mac OS from scratch.... but during the install process...it should give you an option to "Format" the drive when you install? I would make sure you are installing it that way.

7. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

It's been awhile since I've had to do this.....but IIRC:

Boot off of the OS X installation disk that came with your MBP (10.5.x maybe?), or if you've upgraded the OS X with a new retail OS X copy (10.6.x?), use that.

Use Disk Utility to reformat/repartition the drive.

Then, re-install.

If you go the route of installing a new drive, bumping up to a 7200 RPM drive will help the speed with booting, and most everything else. Price difference nowadays is neglible.

I would also comparison shop pricing from macsales.com against newegg.com....

HTH.

8. Feefemon thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried wiping and partitioning the hard drive again to no avail.

This leaves me with the option of replacing the hard drive.

As long as the one I selected in the OP will work, I'm okay with that. I don't need much larger capacity or anything faster as the goal of this fix is to be economical, and I'm already getting 2.5x the current capacity (which is good as-is) anyway

9. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Please stop back and let us know how it goes? I am interested to see if this fixes it... because I will be surprised if it does.

10. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I agree with Marty on this. If formatting and partioning didn't fix it, I'm afraid something else might be going on, and you may be spending good $$ for nothing.

Does it boot successfully from the original CDs without going into safe mode?

11. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

DO you know anyone with a HDD you can borrow to try out? If you do... try that first.

You might have a Hardware Problem... but I don't think the HDD is the issue.

12. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Well wait a second.. when you say it won't boot, what exactly is it doing. Where does it stop/what does it say/what does it display. Just curious before you go off and buy a hard drive.

Please don't buy from OWC. They are ripping you off plain and simple. If you need an economical replacement try this. It's only 40$ and it has a 320 GB capacity.

13. Feefemon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does, considering I was able to reinstall the OS (if that is what you mean). But are you wondering if it boots from the startup disk while the cd is inserted? In that case, no it doesn't.

The problem occurs after the initial gray screen. Normally it goes to a blue screen with a loading bar, then the login screen. It freezes before the loading bar.

And thanks for the tip.

Just some additional information, I just did a hardware check using the install disk by holding "D" on startup. It came back negative. It would find a hardware problem if there was one, right?

14. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Not necessarily at all, the hardware test isn't that robust.

IF you have access to another Mac and a FireWire cable I'd recommend trying to boot from the other Mac's drive. I'm guessing its the HD too.