Old MBP or new MB for video-editing and screencasting?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nepheus, Mar 4, 2008.

1. nepheus macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I am going to buy my first mac and it needs to last a lot because they are really expensive here (Brazil).

Anyways, my main use for the notebook is going to be video-editing and screencasting for my mastering degree project.

Which one would be better for this purpose: an old MBP 2GHz CD (not C2D) or a Penryn MB 2.4GHz. RAM is not a problem, because they will have the same amount: 2GB.

Anyways, I would like to know which one would run a program like ScreenFlow (and related) better. If the graphics acceleration from the MBP is not used in these cases, probably the MB would handle it very well, but if it is...

Thank you a lot in advance! Good things!

nepheus

2. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I say go with the MacBook because it was just updated and its configuration is much better than that of the CD MacBook Pro that you listed in your first post. It will be okay for video-editing and screencasting, but not the best. You might want to get a Core2Duo MacBook Pro if you can, it has a better video card and graphics for the video editing.

3. nepheus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply chris, I think I will save some money to get a new MBP probably after the middle of the year, around august or september. Maybe I even get a Montevina with some other goodies.

Good things!

nepheus