Old MBP vs. New Air - GPU...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FSMBP, May 15, 2012.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I was wondering if anyone had an insight on my current issue:

I currently have a old MBP (see sig) with a dedicated 128MB RAM GPU. Would it be "down-grading" in terms GPU activities with the new rumored Air's 650 integrated GPU? I can't tell if a 5 year old Mac with dedicated GPU would be video activity better than a new MacBook Air with an integrated one (along with its SSD & etc...)

For reference: I don't game but I do edit HD video & do very light Motion work every now and then (mostly small projects every couple of months).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Oli3000 macrumors regular

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I went from a 2008 15" MBP to a 13" i5 MBA. Everything is faster - most things are much faster. Have not found any video card related issues at all, although I don't play games and haven't tried using Motion or Color from FCS. Most of my software is old, but still meets my needs; Final Cut Pro 6 works great, same with Photoshop CS3 and VectorWorks 2008.

One issue with Final Cut Studio (and maybe some other programs) is that it runs a compatibility checker when you install from the DVD's. This breaks on the MBA because it doesn't recognize the graphics card. I also had to jump though some hoops because the installer needed Rosetta (but the individual installers inside the package files didn't). However, I used time machine to just move the installed software from my old MBP to the MBA, and that worked fine. For another program, I installed it first on my old MBP, copied the files/folders to a flash drive, then copied them to the correct places on the MBA and that was fine too.

5. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Thanks for the insight.

I'm currently migrating into FCP X (with the new Motion), so hopefully I won't have those issues. I would imagine that the new MacBook Airs will be optimized for them (as the current Airs handle FCPX decently based upon reviews). I just gotta plan ahead for exporting/encoding! ha.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I thought about getting FCP X, but really I can do everything I need in FCP 6 for now. I haven't bothered to look more closely, but I know FCP X has received a very negative response from some people. I just don't do as much video now, but may have a big project next year. Or maybe not.

I think you will be happy with performance coming from your old machine though. My MBP was Core2 Duo 2.4 with 4GB RAM. I did one test where I exported a 140MB XDCAM full HD clip to an 852x480 h.264 clip. It took my 2008 MBP 72 seconds while the MBA did it in 42 sec. :cool:

And I paid $2,500 for that old MBP while the MBA cost $1,500. There was a time when I did a lot of video, 3d modelling and animation but not these days. If I ever get back into that, I suppose I'll want something faster. But I used to run all that software on a dual G5 that I thought was really fast, and it me cost a LOT of money back around 2004. :D

7. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The comparison on exporting is *very* refreshing to hear!

And like you, I used to do more graphic-intense work a couple years ago but not that much anymore (once a quarter). Down-grading from a Pro to an Air seemed scary but not too much anymore. ;)