Old MBP vs new MB, performance.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by digisam, Dec 10, 2008.

1. digisam macrumors newbie

I like others are deciding if an old MBP will serve me better than a new MB.

Have a dual G5 and a iBook G4, and they are beginning to show their age. So i will be buying some new kit.

I run all the pro apps (CS3, FCP) and like to play WoW.

Think i will wait and see what happens at macworld before i decide on which desktop solution to go for, but for my laptop I am very tempted by these emails i get from mac suppliers selling off old MBPs at not much more than a new MB.

Does anyone have any experience with the two machines, is there a noticeable difference in performance (pro apps, some games)

As the new MB is all new tech, will it generally perform better or the same as the old MBP?

Thanks

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

i was in this same situation and got a old mbp.
    overall it is a better machine,same speed processor, better screen, better gpu and firewire!!!!!!! :D .
    i would not trade my early 2008 mbp even for a glassbookpro lol

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Get the 2.5GHz early 08 MBP.

L2 Cache is 6MB, which is twice that of its 2.4 counterpart and also the late 08 Aluminum MB.

Screen size is perfect for multitasking,browsing, and doing research, and it is also very compact. I run FCP without a hitch, and when I play Unreal Tournament 3 on Vista with this machine I can run it at full resolution with near full settings and it is very beautiful.

Although the Al MB is new, as of now, integrated graphics can't match up to discrete.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Get the old MBP; it's a superb computer, and still more powerful and with better performance than the new MB (impressive and very attractive machine, though the latter is). It will take the MB a while yet to come up to the MBPs standards of spec, performance, etc. Best of all, you will have the MBP's excellent screen. In addition, you'll get Apple's one year warranty - the machine will be tested and tried and will come to you as new; besides, the price is extremely competitive.

Cheers and good luck

5. digisam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice

i have ordered the old mbp and should be coming today

yay

6. nph macrumors 6502a

Doesn't it still get quite hot to the extent you cant use it on your lap?
    Not talking running WoW but more normal programs.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I was talking to a friend who was using her 17 incher from last christmas, and it was quite toasty just using safari and word processing for cryin' out loud! My unibody under the same conditions is not.

Otherwise, I'd go for the older pro over the new macbook just because I thought it's screen was subpar for the price.

8. nph macrumors 6502a

That is why I am getting a MBA. When running 720p videos in an Apple store, the only one not getting hot was the MBA. All others, old MBP 17, new unibody MB and MBP all got hot, almost as hot my first gen MBP.

/Peter

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree, the new MBA is amazing. I want one myself, but I am waiting for MacWorld just to make sure we don't see glass trackpad, glass screen, and maybe more memory or 2 GHz CPU. Possible.

10. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

my buddy has the rev 2 mba and i think its very good! Its much better than i originally thought it was going to be. It handles nearly anything he throws at it.

11. digisam thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had it for over a week now, and i am very impressed, it runs wow at full settings with only slight slow down when i am turning round and there is a lot of distance in front of me.

It plays spore and bioshock (XP) on full settings also with no noticeable slowdown.

Very impressed. Though i did think the old MBP had a magnetic latch, this one keeps popping open.

Regular apps work great also, photoshop and final cut work great, i created a Motion doc and kept throwing particles at it and it was doing great (though still cant get my head round the Motion way of doing things)

Only problem im having is using an external display and a KVM.

But i think that is a 10.5.6 issue.

Works fine on an external screen when it is plugged directly into it.

12. chet macrumors newbie

I ordered the old 2.4 mbp from b&h. The price was too good to pass up at under $1500 with shipping and no tax. What a bargain. I went on the site today, and they're sold out.