Old MBP vs. New MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrw00tastic, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mrw00tastic macrumors member

I am currently looking to replace my Toshiba overheating laptop I bought 3 years ago. I bought an iMac last January and honestly I couldn't have been happier with that decision (well I could have if I upgraded to the 20 inch lol). But now my mobile needs have to be addressed as I can no longer take this overheating in the middle of a project junk.

I am a graphic designer and probably won't be using the laptop for very heavy graphics (mainly photoshop), but would like to know I have that option and I play WOW from time to time. I am on a budget and have been looking at the refurb MBP, but have noticed the new MB are pretty strong as well.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

That is the refurb I have my eyes on. It's either that or the new lowend 2.0 MB. I dislike the screen size of the MB, but also know that there are some concerns with the Video card on the MBP.

I'll take any advice given as i'm pretty much stuck right now. Thanks!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's hard to beat $1349 shipped! Even if you end up with one with video issues, it has a one year warranty as a refurb, plus you won't be totally w/out a computer if you have to send it in because you've got the iMac. Bump up to 4gb aftermarket ram and you'll be happy as a clam.

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

My advice would be go with the upgraded MB. I know that you said you were on a budget, but places like Best Buy have 18 months no interest (Honestly not trying to sell anything). This would address anything that you threw at it, such as graphics and WoW. It would be the best of both worlds.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

I ordered that IDENTICAL model last week. I am using it right now. NO regrets at all. None. The screen is big and beautiful and the computer is fast as hell. Go for it!

5. mrw00tastic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys...Just ordered this one

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

15.4-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

Was waiting on the Glossy and it popped up last night so I told myself if it was still their this morning I would buy it.

I also went to the macstore and talked to the guy there and he seemed to recommend the pro, but still a huge thanks to everyone who replied.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

remember

get and register applecare before the 1 year mark it is worth it. if it is used once it more than pays for itself.