Old MBP vs Newer MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lil' brudder, Sep 17, 2007.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I'm debating whether to get a 1st Gen MBP 1.83 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, 128 MB Radeon x1600 OR a Core 2 Duo 1.83 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Obviously GMA 950 64mb, 60GB HD. (both in the 800 dollar price range)

I would like to do some basic iLife type video/photo editing, play some games, surf the web, listen/rip/burn music, do some garageband stuff and possibly logic express down the road. I will upgrade either to leopard when it is released (going together with my family to get a family pack for 200) and basically other stuff that both can do just fine. I love the larger size of the MBP and the extra expandability that might really come in handy further down the road, but the macbook being core 2 duo is faster.

Basically, what is your guys' opinions? I know it will probably come down to my personal preference, but I like having other people's input.

Thanks!

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

The C2D of the MB will only be a little faster than the MBP's CD.
    If you like the larger screen of the MBP, I'd go for that.
    The x1600 will really fly compared to the GMA 950, and that hard drive space will really come in handy.

3. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

While the macbook you may get is newer, you will be much happier with the Macbook Pro because of the graphics card. You are severly limited in that you cannot run CS3

4. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically you are saying that the MB is minimally faster than the MBP? I would have thought it would be quite a bit slower. Thanks for the responses!

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The MB is faster by the speed of unnoticeable, it's the difference between a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, which is really not so much, although C2D is 64 bit. The MB's hard drive would be easier to replace too, so you could buy a larger hard drive for it if you save any money between the two. I must say though that the MB has the equivalent of no graphics card, so the MBP wins there as well as in screen space... but the MB would probably be a good choice for you, you won't be gaming, 3D rendering, etc.

6. macgroovy macrumors member

From what I have read CS3 will run fine on the Macbooks, although some tasks may take longer with the absence of a dedicated graphics card.

7. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I'd say an older mbp after owning several of each model and generation (buisness). The pro model's quality control is fantastic, the regular macbook's quality is subpar, plus the screen is dull.
    -David

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Agreed1

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

for the same price i would rather have the macbookpro, unless portability is of an utmost concern. Dedicated gpu is great and probably more of an overall difference than the C2D.

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

lil' brudder, a few months ago I found a great deal on a 1st gen MBP. I was a little concerned because I don't like buying first gen anything.

But I figured it wasn't really first gen because it wasn't the first MBPs off the assembly line, and because the discount seemed great.

My judgement: wow -- best Apple computer ever -- and my experience with Apple pre-dates the first Mac by two years.

If you think you are getting a good deal I say go for it.

I wish my MBP could burn DVDs -- it doesn't, but otherwise it is amazing. The best part? Boot-up speed. I show PC users how fast it boots and they can not believe it. Then i shut it down and they are even more amazed -- they shouldn't be, all Mac can shut down. Why is it that PCs take so long to shut down?