Old mini or Older iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JSENNY25, Jun 26, 2013.

1. JSENNY25 macrumors member

I am looking to get a budget mac for my classroom and i am looking at two different models...The 2007 20'' C2D 2.4 aluminum iMac or the 2010 C2D 2.4 Mac mini.

Take away screen, keyboard, and mouse...I have extras for the mini.

I am talking about performance in a real world setting. Both geekbench scores are similar:

iMac- 3216/3595

mini- 3307/3635

The only real benefit I can see is if I MAX out the ram in the mini (16 as opposed to 6 in the iMac)

The they both have the same HD size, but the iMac spins at 7200 and the mini is at 5400.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: the mini is $350, the iMac is $425, so I the difference is nominal and I would rather get the better mac for my needs (keynote, pages, iPhoto, iMovies,Garageband)

Here is a link to the everymac site

Here is the everymac.com score sheet:

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Mini, get the Mini. It's faster than the iMac in general every day computing and it'll likely have a longer lifecycle.

3. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for the opinion.

I have another question.... It looks like both systems will probably be able to run the new operating system (Mavericks). Is there anything else I should really be concerning myself with?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The future. The Mini is more future resistant than the iMac. The iMac is very likely going to be dropped with what ever comes out after 10.9.

5. dtjay7 macrumors regular

I just sold my 2010 Mac Mini and got the same iMac that you are looking at. But, when I got this iMac with a 256 GB SSD already in it and 4 GB of memory. I have upgraded the CPU to a 2.8 Core 2 Extreme. I changed because I liked the all in one of the iMac better than having separate pieces. I am thrilled with the change.

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I'd get the Mini and swap out the hard drive for an SSD.

You'll see a really noticeable performance increase for everyday tasks and it'll be a roughly equivalent price to the iMac (assuming you get like a 128gb drive).

7. JSENNY25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...

The SSD swap in both would be pretty nice.

I have also read that I can switch the processor in the iMac.

That might be kind of fun.