Old MiniDV Tapes & FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lindmar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lindmar macrumors 6502

I just picked up an old MiniDV camera to use as a deck to capture all my old dusty tapes. I'm also using my wife's iMac with iMovie 08 and I installed FCPX.

I want to archive all my old footage and play with a bit of it again.

Some of the tapes have finished movies and family films on them... When I use the archive function, even my finished films show up as all broken files and clips.

I get a nice archive with .mov files, but it messes up all my finished films.

If I use iMovie to import, it get's the clips right and gives me .dv files. It knows when to start a new file and when to keep going.

Does that make sense? Is there any way to change the FCPX archive/import function to work properly or more like iMovie.

Just to clarify - there's a 12 minute finished movie on a MiniDV Tape. Back in the day it was exported from iMovie back to the tape. When I import the footage with iMovie 08 - that 12 minute film becomes one big .dv file - any other random stuff on the tape become other .dv files....

FCPX messes up that whole 12minute file into hundreds of little .mov clips

Thanks in advance

2. lindmar thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I was wrong...

iMovie 08 import is splitting the clips too... Very weird.

I think a workaround is a log & capture manually in FCP 7.

If anyone knows a button or option I'm forgetting to turn off, please let me know :)

Thanks

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I use FCE's "Capture" command for mini-DV tapes. First use the "easy settings" and set up a new project to match the format. (Probably standard Firewire DV, unless it's a 16:9 format or HD. Sound is usually 48k.) You can edit and then export Quicktime movies for DVD burning from there.