Old Models/Pricing: Where to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kaos.geo, Aug 10, 2007.

1. kaos.geo macrumors newbie

Hello, I am from Argentina, where because of exhorbitant import taxes, mac prices are awfully high (i.e. basic mac mini is 1000 u$s, basic iMac 1600u$s)

My question is this:

When Apple releases a refreshed product (like the new iMac and refreshed mac mini) are you able (in the U.S.) to get the previous old models somewhere? and if so, are prices lower? how much?

I am planning on going to the U.S. soon and probably do some mac shopping.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Pedro.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, the previous-version-sales are usually only for a week or so after a product refresh, and if they're hot they'll be sold out much faster than that. I remember when the MacBooks were last updated, Amazon had the BlackBook for around $1k and they were gone in a matter of hours. Yesterday they had the 1.83 Mini (the $799 one before Tuesday) for $519 and the 1.66 for $469. Both were gone in hours as well.

Frys.com had some deals on the last version of the iMac and quickly sold out of the 20" model. The deals weren't as impressive, but a decent savings if you don't mind last week's technology.

However, I get the feeling you're asking about physical locations, not online retailers... Which is a bit more tricky. If you come to California, I'd suggest going to a Fry's store and seeing if they have any last-model macs... Be very careful it's not a return or a refurb as Fry's likes to try and sell their returned junk as "new." Other than that, I think you'd be looking at small independent Apple retailers, and as a loooooooong shot, try a Costco warehouse; They carried the G5 iMac's long after the Intel switch was made.

Good luck and good Mac hunting!

Edit: I think the 17" and 24" last-version iMacs could still be going on at Frys.com, not that it really helps you, but maybe you know someone in the US that can hold onto it for you.

3. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Your best bet is with Apple resellers. In other words stores that sell Apple computers but aren't owned by Apple. As to what stores, it will vary from area to area. When there were CompUSA stores in my a area they would knock 10%-15% off the remaining older units when they started to stock the new stuff. That would be a few weeks after a new product was released since it usually took that long for them to start stocking new releases. BestBuy stores are now stocking Apple computers so they may also start to clearence older units but they just resently started selling them and may have a different policy on apple stuff.
    You may want to check with someone who is familar with the area you are taveling to for getting an idea of what is there. Best of luck.

4. kaos.geo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both

Thanks to both for the tips...

:)

Now... let's get ready to shop!

K.