old MP with 3.0 quad OR new MP with 2.8 quad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mortalvic, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mortalvic macrumors newbie

I have been researching myself into a indecision. I just bought a Woodcrest 3.0 quad core with X1900 video card. It's a refurb from Apple.

It's not even here yet and I am starting to wonder if I should have just bought the new mac pro quad core 2.8 with 2600 video card.

I can't find any benchmark info comparing the two set ups. They will be priced about the same if I just get the step down standard new model.

MP Quad 3.0 model $2400
    I like that I can run tiger and leopard
    Great video card X1900
    Dual processor
    two superdrives

MP Quad 2.8 $2400
    Brand new technology
    better cache
    more efficient power
    only one processor in model I can afford
    ok video card
    faster RAM but much more expensive
    can only run leopard

Any thoughts or comments out there will be appreciated.

I use my mac for Graphic Design mostly and some video editing.

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

3. mortalvic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to take 8 cores too, but I can barely afford the $2400 for the 4 cores. Both of my options are 4 cores, but the 3.0 is on dual processor and the new mac pro quad is on one processor.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The newer quad 2.8 GHz.

Sorry. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. I just don't think the video card will really make a difference for graphic design. So lets say the video card is a non-factor in terms of overall speed of your system.

With regards to processor speed, they'll probably be around the same, since the new 2.8 GHz model has improved cache and RAM. That should offset any difference between it and a quad core 3.0 GHz model.

So the only difference for me is the "new-ness" of the machine. I'd buy the new machine just because it's newer.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Isnt it possible to upgrade the processors of the old Mac Pros to the quad cores? The sockets should be the same.

If thats the case then you are getting a better motherboard with the old one, since its dual processor. Later on you should beable to upgrade it to be faster than what the single processor model is capable of.

Regardless, the MP is total overkill for graphic design anyways, the difference will be in rendering video (which wont be that big a difference anyways).

6. mortalvic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone for your input. I think I have decided to look for a eight core 3GHz with a x1900 card.

MP are perhaps luxury for Graphic design at this point - except that I like to multi -task and from what I have read the MP will definitely help there. I also do video work so having MP and 8 cores will also help alot.

Barefeats.com just posted a helpful article comparing the mac pros low to high
    http://barefeats.com/harper7.html

found a cool ranking by primates lab using geekbench too based on processor and memory performance alone for a huge long list of macs. Interesting to see how far I have come speed wise from some of my earlier macs.
    http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/12/mac-performance-december-2007/

thanks again :apple: