Old MPB (early '08) or new MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bbadalucco, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

So I'm trying to decide if I should get a early '08 MBP (2.4 ghz, 4gb ram,15.4 screen) or a the new low end MacBook.

I plan on using the laptop for school, internet browsing and iTunes and watching blu ray files via Plex (this is important as school work alone bores me).

Let me know which way you'd go.

Thanks All

2. Totty macrumors member

My wife and I both just bought 15" MBP (early 08)s for each other for Christmas last month. I would highly recommend going that route. Just about everything except for the "Shiny New Product" factor is better on the old MBP model. Especially considering that you will be playing high definition video, the screen on the MBP has a higher resolution. Not to mention that the graphics on even the old MBP are far better than the graphics on the new MB. Many people have also mentioned that the MBP has a nicer screen quality-wise than MBs.

3. svndmvn Guest

if portability is not an issue, and the MBP is more portable than most 15" out there, the MBP is better than the MB in almost every aspect.

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

One of the new ones, low end i think would be absolutely fine for you

5. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

They are probably around the same price to which you have to think, why buy LESS computer (MB) for the same price of a MBP. The MBP is such a better computer, I'd go that way.

6. Totty macrumors member

I have to disagree. While the MB would do almost anything the topic creator could throw at it admirably, the MBP could do it with much more finesse and I would guess for only about 200 US dollars more, if that.

7. svndmvn Guest

this is of course true, but then again, the 2.5/2.8 MBP would do it even better, hell, even a Mac Pro would..
    anyway, at the moment, for whoever needs a bigger and better screen the refurbished MBP is the way to go.