Old Nikon Camera Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maril1111, Jul 18, 2010.

1. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Hi,

My father bought around 10-20 years ago a Nikon FE2 http://www.thecamerasite.net/01_SLR_Cameras/Images/Nikon-FEa.jpg which we still have.

Unfortunately he sold the lens back then!
    I have been searching for a while now for a website that offers old Nikor or other brand MF Lenses like the 50-70mm one can you please recommend me a good website?

We live in Europe if it makes a difference :/

Cheers,

Maril

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Hi, I would scour ebay.
    Otherwise, you can check mifsuds.co.uk that has a decent used lens assortment. You can also ask around known second hand camera shops.
    Even on our "local ebay version" here in Finland I can find plenty of manual focus old lenses to purchase... fairly cheaply actually...

//f

3. CK Williams macrumors regular

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You know you don't have to get MF-only lenses- AF-D lenses will work too, the only thing that won't will be newer "G" type AF-S lenses because they don't have an aperture ring. The last AI-type lens I got was from eBay in the UK (200mm Micro) and it works great on my DSLRs.

Paul

5. cube macrumors G5

Your local photo stores should have used equipment. I find this to be better than the auction sites.

6. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Also have a look at craigslist: as long as you stick to some common sense rules and try before you buy in person, it's a great way to buy used equipment.

As others have said: you can also get AF Nikon lenses: as long as they have an aperture ring (i. e. non-AF-G lenses), they'll be fine.

The FE2 is actually a very nice camera :) Have fun with it!

7. maril1111 thread starter macrumors 68000

maril1111

Thank you for all the replies :)

my father said that he wanted an MF instead of Af for whatever reason which Is y i was searching for those

I will check the websites and report back

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Even though AF lenses with an aperture ring will work as manual focus lenses on older cameras, most AF lenses don't have a very smooth focusing action for manual use, unless they're fairly solidly built. I'd much prefer an old manual focus 50mm f/1.4 than an AF-D 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 just because of that. The old lenses had metal barrels and well damped and smooth focusing action as a general rule, something which is seldom the case with AF lenses, with a few exceptions.