OLD Office, wait for iWork '10?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thorbjorn, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

So I've been gimping along using Microsoft Office X for Mac, issued in 2001. It generally works okay (and geez, I'm certainly used to it) but Word in particular will often crash when I save a document. I guess it's showing its age. I'm starting to think about transitioning to iWork (because of low cost and good reviews), but wonder whether I should jump now or wait until a possible iWork '10. Any thoughts? Do we have an estimate of possible release date? Do we have any good guesses about whether the upgrades from '09 to '10 would be worth waiting for?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hands up if anyone thinks it'll be made into iWork X... (I hope it doesn't, terrible idea)

To be honest, I doubt there will be a big feature set that would come with 10, there wasn't anything too special to make me immediately jump from 8 to 9, so I'd say get it now if it really bugs you, but you can survive another 5 - 8 months of a troubled Office, stick at it.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I would certainly recommend an upgrade. If you can't save your work then the program is useless for you.

4. Thorbjorn thread starter macrumors regular

I should clarify: I can (and do!) save work. It just sometimes takes a couple of iterations. I've learned to copy all onto Clipboard before saving for the first time. Subsequent saves don't crash as often.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Still, does kinda defeat the point if you have to do that in order to be 100% sure your save will go through...

I'd definitely suggest iWork '09

6. linxaudio macrumors newbie

Why not try Open Office?
    If you want something to use between now and when iWork 10 is released, you could ditch Microsoft Office, still work on those files in Open Office, and continue to work on them, even if you decide to get iWork.
    I've recently 'converted' to Mac after 15 years of windows headache. I recently purchased an iMac with iLife 09, but no iWork. I'm in two minds about purchasing iWork 09 if there's going to be an iWork 10 released any time soon, so I got Open Office to tide me over for now.
    Best of all, Open Office is free too, so there's nothing to lose!
    :)

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There's supposed to be a new Office for Mac coming in 2010 as well.

(in time for Christmas shopping)

8. jimxa macrumors newbie

Don't support microsoft

Yes try out open office and wait till Iwork 10 comes out. Microsoft products just do not work well.

9. dpastern macrumors member

I too would love to know if/when iWorks 10 is due out. iWorks 09 still has a few issues, and Microsoft Office for Mac by all accounts is just crud. My plan at the moment though is like others have suggested - use OpenOffice (or NeoOffice).

Dave

10. djellison macrumors 68020

It also happens to be fairly crap, especially for presentations etc, so infact, the most important thing of all (productivity) is exactly what you lose with it.

11. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Open office is too clumsy to use, in my opinion. iWork is not very expensive, and works very smoothly in my experience. The '09 version is fine; at least I do not miss any important feature.

12. tim-tim-tim macrumors newbie

I am in similar position to many of you. I am using Office on my Mac but am considering upgrading to iWork.
    I have given the free trial ago and quite like it. I understand that iWork 10 will be released soon, so my question is, if I pay for iWork 9 now, will I have to pay the full price to upgrade to 10 or will I just pay an upgrade change?
    Also, does anyone have any idea what the price of iWork 10 might be?

Thank you in advance :)

13. zoooj macrumors newbie

It depends what you want to do. I've always found the spreadsheets fine for what I need (personal finance and freelance bookkeeping). I also use the Text (equivalent of Word) for most of the documents I need to do when freelancing. I don't use presentations though so can't comment on this.

One thing I do know though is that if you have something in Word and then open it in OpenOffice, you might lose some of the formtatting, and vice versa. You can save as a .doc from OO though.

I used OpenOffice 2 and hated it. However, since Sun took over and they moved to version 3 it's been a lot faster (no X11) and hasn't crashed on me yet (MBP with SL).

My advice would be wait for iwork '10 and use OO in the meantime. Unless that is you have a need to work a large part of the day with MS Office on a Windows OS.