Old or new generation MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JÄIRFM, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JÄIRFM macrumors newbie

Hello
    I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro, but I'm not sure what model to pick. Now that the 2012 Macbook Pros are coming out, the higher spec 2011 models can be found for around the same price.

The ones I'm looking at are either the brand new 2012 Macbook Pro 13" base model, or:

The 2011 MBP 13": Intel Core i7 Processor/2.8 GHz, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 4 GB RAM & 750 GB HDD

Or the 2011 MBP 15": Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor/2.2 GHz, AMD Radeon HD 6750M/ 256 DDR5 RAM, 4 GB RAM & 500 GB HDD

The 15" is the most expensive one, but the difference isn't that large. The 2011 and 2012 13" models are pretty much the same price. Which one do I choose? I need it for everyday usage, school, music recording and I would like to be able to play games.

Thanks!

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Personally, I'd go with the '12 base model unless you want a 15".

3. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the new 13" better than the 2011 13" with the specs I showed?

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree... Unless you want a larger screen or discrete graphics card, then go with the 2012.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

I would say the differences are minimal and the new processor is slightly better than the old one. The HD graphics are also better in the new one.

So you got a better processor which draws less power, the CPU difference between the new/old is minimal but the new one may still have more/same power as old. You'll have a slightly smaller HD with 500 GB but 500 GB is plenty for most people.

6. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the answers!

Any specific reason why you wouldn't go with the 15"? Wouldn't the performance be better with the Quad Core i7 2.2 GHz processor and the dedicated graphics card?

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Well it depends on what you want it for. If you are playing games, then I'd go for the 15" but the 13" is a very solid system and should handle everything a normal user would use it for.

8. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

Playing games wouldn't be the most important use, but I would like to be able to play Diablo 3 or Skyrim if that is possible. More important however, is that I can use programs like Logic and that the computer generally runs smoothly and without a noisy fan.

Portability is not that important (still looking for a laptop though), and I want a computer that will last a few years.

9. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Idk about skyrim but Diablo will run on the 13in. High settings might be laggy though.I would recommend the 15in if your going to play these games.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

I believe the newer 13" would play both of those games although the 15" would play them better. I'm not sure about Logic but if it uses the GPU, your fans will be louder but I think there are programs that can force the HD graphics.

The newer macs run a little cooler due to the processor though.

The 15" would probably have a better longevity for game playing though if that is a secondary function.

11. tejagamer macrumors member

tejagamer

If you want to play Skyrim/Diablo 3, MBP 13 is fine..
    HD4000 can handle games at 1280x800 without any issue!
    MBP 13 is good. But if you are a Power user and use apps that benefit from a Quad Core proccy, or game alot, then go for 15"

12. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, does the battery life differ between the 2011 15" and the 2012 13"?

Also, if you disregard screen sizes and price, which one would be fastest/smoothest for everyday use (web browsing, essays, music, photo editing etc.)?

As you may notice, I'm not too tech-savvy so I appreciate the help!

13. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll just shamelessly bump this one time to see if I can get som answers for the questions above. I need to make a decision very soon.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

This one is really on you. Both computers would run what you want to do without much issue and would have about the same battery life. You just need to decide which is more important: latest I/O, smaller form factor, and lower price tag, or bigger screen, beefier processor and dedicated GPU.

15. leenak macrumors 68020

The GPU will drain the battery more and the newer MBPs should have a slightly better battery life than previous generations. So theoretically, if you are pushing your '11 MBP 15" then the battery will drain a lot faster than the '12 MBP 13". That is the trade off of having a GPU though. Normal activities will most likely not be using the GPU, only graphically intensive activities.

16. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate all the help!

I think I'll order the 15" tomorrow. The store sells them for ~520$ less now than what they cost a month ago (and ~180$ more than the new 13" with the student discount), seems like a good deal.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you aren't really focused on playing games, the 13" will probably handle things with less heat and fan noise than the 15". I've heard a lot that the 2011 15" MBPs can run fairly hot and be somewhat noisy when the dedicated GPU kicks in, which happens with a lot of applications.

I would expect the 13", especially the 2012 base model, to run cooler and quieter than the 2011 15".

I don't have personal experience with Logic so I don't know whether quad core will help with that.

Also of course the 15" gives you a physically bigger screen with a higher resolution.

18. JÄIRFM thread starter macrumors newbie

Well at least it has a dedicated GPU! Hmmmm. You're not making this easy for me...

If anyone has experience with noisy fans or just any of the computers I would be happy to hear some opinions. This will be my first mac, and I'm not too sure what specs are important...

19. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Im in the same boat. The only intensive application I use is Logic, some photo shop. After the student discount and 100 gift card you can get the 2012 MBP 13 for 382 dollars cheaper than the refurbished 2011 MBP 15 2.2. I do like the bigger screen, the quad core and the dedicated gpu but don't need them. Having a brand new machine would be nice. Does the 2012 MBP 13 have the asymmetric fan?

20. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I used Final Cut and PS on a 13 inch screen for years and it was absolutely terrible, the slightly higher resolution and physical screen size make a huge difference.

If you're gonna be using Logic you should keep in mind that theres only one audio in/out on the 13 inch.