Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
With the introduction of the new MBPs, Apple has decreased the student discount. But the old student discount still applies to the old MBPs. In total, it's $600 cheaper for the old one. Additionally, I really like matte screens and FW400. Any thoughts as to whether the better graphics and FSB are worth that plus $600?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Get the new one. The graphics card on the old one will eventually fail, you can get a screen cover to make it matte, the graphics card is much better in the new one, and Firewire 400 can be achieved with a $15 Dollar dongle that converts FW800 to 400.

MaaseyRacer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
San Francisco, Ca.
No Doubt Get The New One

No doubt, you should get the new one. 1066MHz FSB should be enough motivation. Also all you need is a 9 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable. Enabling firewire 400.
The glossy screen is disappointing, however they have supposed boosted the display. I need to see it before I make my conclusion, but I would never buy an older computer.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Get the new one. The graphics card on the old one will eventually fail, you can get a screen cover to make it matte, the graphics card is much better in the new one, and Firewire 400 can be achieved with a $15 Dollar dongle that converts FW800 to 400.
thats not much of an argument since I'll be getting applecare either way. The question is really whether FSB1066 and DDR3 (and what's the latency on that? A slower memory bus is not high on my list of priorities) and the GeForce 9600m gt is worth $600. Are they?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I think the correct answer depends on:

1) What software will you be using? Is is CPU or GPU intensive?

2) How much to the physical enhancements, i.e. glass track pad, chicklet keyboard, etc excite you? How much does having an extra $600 in your pocket excite you. Which of these two makes you more excited?

3) How long to you keep your notebook? Do you keep 'em till they die or do you upgrade every 2-3 years?

Everyone has different needs and standards. I bought the new MBP b/c I like having the latest and greatest, even though I don't like the glossy either. That's just me though. I can see where someone would be thrilled to get a brand new dirt cheap last gen MBP and believe me they are hardly turtles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.