Old OS X version on new GPU

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1970mgbgt, Oct 1, 2015.

1. 1970mgbgt macrumors member

Hi,

I'm upgrading my 2011 Mac Pro 5,1 2.4Ghz 8-core to a 3.33Ghz 12-core machine. At the same time, I'm upgrading the graphics card to a Radeon 7970, new memory, a couple of SSDs, and a new monitor.

The OS will have to be upgraded to Mavericks to run the new Radeon card, but there is one program (Bryce 7 Pro) that I really need that will only run on OS 10.6.

My question is, what happens if I boot up the machine from a drive containing 10.6 while the new card is expecting 10.9? Is it like matter and anti-matter thrown together? Will the machine explode? Nothing at all?

I really don't know.

Thanks,

MG

2. chscag macrumors 68000

My guess is that you'll wind up with a black screen or it won't boot at all. However, I believe you can run Snow Leopard in a VM from within Mavericks. Check the EULA to make sure but I have read where other folks say it's possible.

3. 1970mgbgt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Are you talking about something like this?

From the Mavericks EULA:

(ii) you may not make the Apple Software available over a network
    where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time.

Could a VM be construed as being one or several other machines run on a network?

VMWare Fusion talks about Running Win inside OS X, but does it accomplish running a Mac within a Mac?

4. 1970mgbgt thread starter macrumors member

5. chscag macrumors 68000

No, a network is not the same. You would actually be running Snow Leopard on the same machine as Mavericks but it would be running as a virtual machine within Mavericks. And I wouldn't necessarily use VMWare since it's not free. VirtualBox from Oracle is free and works well. The only thing I would be concerned with is the legality of doing it. However, if you own a license for Snow Leopard and since Mavericks is free, I don't think you would be violating the EULA.

6. 1970mgbgt thread starter macrumors member

Apple apparently allows the virtualization of SL Server, but not the client version. That is the key to the whole thing.

7. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

You should be able to find Snow Leopard server DVD in the Apple web store, I haven't tested it myself but it should work in VirtualBox.

8. 1970mgbgt thread starter macrumors member

They quit selling it in January of this year, according to a poster on the site I listed above. Just bought a copy off Ebay.