Old OSX on new rMBP15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRDGT4Writer, Jun 27, 2015.

1. TRDGT4Writer, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

TRDGT4Writer macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I'm thinking about buying a new rMBP15 around in Fall. However, I have a small problem which I hope that it won't hurt the laptop. I have apps that are running on Lion 10.7.5 but since the introduction of Yosemite/El Capitan I'm left wondering if I can erase the OSX that came with it and put Mountain Lion?

I really don't want to buy new software and hurt my wallet every single time Apple makes an OS update. I'm lucky enough to manage to run CS5/CS5.5 MC, Avid Media Composer 5.5.3, Manga Studio EX, Protools 10 on 10.7.5 but now I think it's time for me to move on with the current times.

P.S: Should I wait for Apple Macbook Pro fall 2015 update (if there is one) or buy it now?

Is the new one faster and better than the old one it replaced last year?

Sidenote: I'll be switching to Adobe CC in the Fall as well

My current setup is:
    - Late 2008 MBP15 • Intel Core2Duo 2.33GHz • 256MB AMD VRAM • 750GB 7200rpm SSHD • 10.7.3 OSX Lion

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Waiting or not waiting won't really allow you to downgrade unfortunately.

Is there a reason you are sticking with Mountain Lion? Software that runs on Mountain Lion will more than likely run on the latest OS X, especially well supported applications like those in the Adobe suites.

3. TRDGT4Writer thread starter macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

So If I have apps that are running fine in Lion, it'll run fine on Yosemite/El Capitan? That's interesting because I was told different that it won't run and I would have match OSX with the app version which sound like a pain every single time.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

For sure. Some applications are exceptions to this, albeit it typically smaller scale applications for lack of a better term. It all depends on the support and development for them.

Anything Adobe will run on the most recent revision of OS X - as for the others that you listed, I am sure they will but just check their system requirements to make sure. Usually applications will require 10.6+ which is Snow Leopard and beyond.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm almost certain that you can't downgrade a Mac below its shipping version - so current 2015 MBPs can only run Yosemite, but something like a 2011 MBP can run anything from Snow Leopard to Yosemite providing you have the installer.

6. TRDGT4Writer thread starter macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

Well that sucks. Then again, Apple wants you to move forward not backward. I've had a few Apple friends that forced their new rMBPs to run the old OSX. They don't like Mavericks/Yosemite because it's such a storage and RAM hog. They also missed the labels from MT Lion. On Mavericks/Yosemite, it's called tags.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You can roll back the earliest rMBPs to Lion, but no Mac can be downgraded to a version older than the shipping OS.

It makes sense really, as older OSes won't have the drivers needed for the newer hardware. For example, how would Mavericks or ML handle the Force Touch trackpad of new MBPs?

8. TRDGT4Writer thread starter macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

How early can I go back? Will I be at a disadvantage if I get the 2015 Macbook Pro 15?

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You can't go back on the 2015 rMBP.

If you *must* run Lion/Mountain Lion then virtualise it via Parallels if you can live with the lower graphics performance.

10. hobsgrg, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

hobsgrg macrumors 6502

If you buy a mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15 then you can only use Yosemite or newer. If a newer model was released in the fall then it would only be El Capitan or newer. Apple are very clear that you shouldn't try to install an older version of the OS:-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201686

It's not like Windows where you can install any version you want and then just install the drivers yourself to get everything to work, the drivers needed won't be in the older OS so somethings won't work and computer might not even start up at all!

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Why must you use an older version of OS X? Can't you just update or buy new versions of the software that you want to use?

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Source?

Mavericks comes with driver support for the M370X and Force Touch trackpad now does it? It would possibly work on the late-2014, no hope on the 2015.

13. redheeler, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

rMBPs can't be downgraded past the OS they originally shipped with because the Kexts for the hardware in them aren't present in the older versions. If your friend bought a mid 2014 rMBP that came with Yosemite, it still could be downgraded to Mavericks since that's what it originally shipped with. The same would not be true of a 2015 model which originally ships with Yosemite or 10.11.

From my experience, Yosemite 10.10.3 is an improvement when it comes to memory consumption. Mavericks and later have Memory Compression which also should help in times of high RAM usage. As for labels, use an app called XtraFinder to get these back.

14. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I meant to type Yosemite

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mavericks does NOT have Force Touch support, and neither does it have support for the M370X.

Only Yosemite has support for these two, since the first of the rMBPs with Force Touch and M370X debuted during Yosemite's reign.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mavericks doesn't include the kext drivers for the chipsets that are currently being used. There's no way for anyone running a 2015 or 2014 MBP to run Mavericks it just won't work.

17. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is apple stops supporting an OS (other then security updates) once a new OS hits the streets. I think people would love to run SL on newer hardware. Given what see in the 10.11 forum, apple heard our complaining and OS X 10.11 is shaping up to be a nice improvement.