Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r3yrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hey guys,

Well, like the title says, my old computer unexpectedly crashed. I lost all data I had on that sucker including my itunes data. Now that I have a new computer, I installed itunes and I'm wondering is there anyway for me to copy all the data from the iPhone to the new iTunes library?

I don't wanna test my luck by just syncing it, fearing it might just delete everything in my phone...

any help or tips are appreciated!

Rey

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
I would do one of two things, which are just about the same thing:
1: install the hard drive from your old computer as a slave in the new one and try and get your stuff off it.
2: get a USB hard drive enclosure and stick the hard drive from
your old computer in that, and get your old stuff off of it.

Any apps and music you got from iTunes, you can redownload for free on your new computer after logging into your iTunes account. All your other stuff you have to recover from the old HD.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Send an email to Apple iTunes, customer service. Explain the situation, and they might grant you a once in a lifetime option to download all content on your PC again. My drive recently crashed, they let me do this for free.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Send an email to Apple iTunes, customer service. Explain the situation, and they might grant you a once in a lifetime option to download all content on your PC again. My drive recently crashed, they let me do this for free.

Uh, what?

If you've purchased through iTunes and still use that account, you can download the song/movie/video/app again at any time on any PC. You just download it and it tells you 'you've already purchased this item'.

The problem is, if you have A LOT of stuff, its hard to remember it all.

You didn't get any special 'option'.

r3yrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I'm gonna give the slave hard drive a try... hopefully I dont pick up the same virus that killed my other one!

Anybody heard of this iTwin program? its suppose to be able to copy your iPhone data without any problem? I'm thinking about giving this a try too.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Uh, what?

If you've purchased through iTunes and still use that account, you can download the song/movie/video/app again at any time on any PC. You just download it and it tells you 'you've already purchased this item'.

You can't purchase music again, well, iTunes wasn't letting me. They insist you take backups, regularly.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I'm gonna give the slave hard drive a try... hopefully I dont pick up the same virus that killed my other one!

Anybody heard of this iTwin program? its suppose to be able to copy your iPhone data without any problem? I'm thinking about giving this a try too.

Make sure you have Microsoft Security Essentials loaded on your PC. It's very good at detecting and removing viruses/malware.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
If you're looking to get the playlists / music off of your iphone its very easy.

Sharepod

Get it and it'll connect to your iPhone and let you download all the music.
However, for your apps you'll have to get those back from iTunes.
Email support and let them know what happened. They'll set all your stuff back up so you can redownload it again. But only the stuff you purchased. Then just redownload it via iTunes to your new system.

This happened to my wife 2 months ago, this is exactly what we did. Apple support put everything we purchased (apps, music, video, books, etc) in our download queue. We just connected and it all downloaded again for us.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Uh, what?

When my hard drive died, I had to purchase all songs/movies/TV shows/whatever (that wasn't apps) again through iTunes. I did use a program that I can't remember the name of at the moment to transfer everything currently on my iPhone to my new computer, but the stuff that wasn't synced had to be re-purchased. Yes, it did give me the message that I'd already purchased it, but that was irrelevant as the purchased file was now gone.

Edit: I believe the program I used was called CopyTrans or CopyPod. Used it to get back everything including photos (though I believe I had to purchase like the "pro" version of the program or something, not just the basic one.) At any rate, it was very easy to use and worked like a charm.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY

Woah there, you didn't mention a virus. Be careful with that sort of thing, make sure you have a good and up to date anti-virus before installing it as a slave drive. If this was the case, I would get a USB enclosure instead. It'll cost you $20, but if something bothersome starts transferring, you can always yank the USB plug. It's a little harder to yank the IDE or SATA cable inside your system, and worse for the system too.

midge50

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
Seems that many people buy a new computer when it is just a virus. You could just wipe the drive and start over, assuming you can not figure out how to clean it first. Many local pc stores offer a $49 cleanup service.

But, if you have a new one, make that drive a slave. As long as you do not RUN programs, the chances of a virus hitting the new drive drop significantly. It is just passive data. Of course, if you copy the offending file and run it, look out.

JSAYER

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
England
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but a feature in iTunes has saved me many times (stupid Windows)

When you plug your iPhone into iTunes select "File" and then "Transfer purchases from iPod", if I remember rightly anything you have purchased of iTunes Apps,music,TV shows etc. will be copied back to your computer.

I may be missing something but hope this helps

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
My only hate towards Apple..their BS iTunes.

Lol. Why?

iTunes is the EASIEST thing to backup and makes keeping things organized simple an easy. You should always backup your data. I have a Seagate Freeagent GO drive and it backs up every night. Any major changes I make to the system and I do a manual backup right then. It has saved my butt numerous times.

You want painful? Deal with Windows Media "Play for sure" BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.