Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
When logging into iCloud and using Find My iPhone, my old iPhone 5 is appearing. I sold this device nearly a year ago on eBay. How can I remove this device from Find My iPhone?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I had this issue myself with an old iMac and iPhone 4 I sold 2 years ago... I'd wiped them, and then they showed up after over a year - WTH?

There's only 2 ways to get devices I know are to, from the Find My iPhone app or the iCloud.com portal are to either erase the device or wait until the device is offline. Erasing the device gets you the option of removing the device once you get past the "erase" button you just clicked and I've seen the option to remove the device when it's offline (I tried this with one of my iPads, one of my iPhones, and one of my Macs) - clicking/tapping on the "remove" option gets you the warning you'd expect, in essence you'll never get to track it again.

I "erased" and "removed" the iPhone 4 a few weeks ago, and "removed" an offline iMac from my iCloud portal about 6 weeks ago - and they're gone! from my account after a year of looking at them. IMO Apple's made this "remove" feature really work for once! There's a guy out there with an iPhone he'll need to restore, but I don't have to look at it anymore.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm also seeing my old 4S, which I sold last week. I did an Erase All Content and Settings and the new owner activated it with his own Apple ID.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I believe you needed to:

1. disable find my iPhone
2. logout of all iCloud services
3. erase all data/content

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
It seems to be some kind of bug, I see my old iPhone 5S. There are a few different threads already where people have performed the exact steps as shown above or more specifically as shown on the Apple Support pages for when selling/giving away your device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5661

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Well it does say "This will completely erase your device and turn off iCloud...", so I guess it should but maybe that's the bug and it's ok if you manually do that beforehand.

----------

Actually, I think I'm getting this mixed up with the issue where old devices appear under Settings on icloud.com.

All my devices which I've sold or given away do not appear in 'Find my iPhone', and only my 5S still appears under Settings on icloud.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.