Old photoshop, new iMac, need advice

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by wonderdog, Jul 30, 2010.

1. wonderdog macrumors newbie

I have an older version of PhotoShop (PS 7.0) that I used with my G5 Powermac. I recently bought an intel iMac and of course the Photoshop version that I have is incompatible with the intel processor. Can anyone tell me which is the earliest version that would work with the intel Mac? Perhaps I could find a used version of that release on ebay. I only want it for home use, I am retired and just play around with old photos, family web pages, etc. Photoshop elements isn't powerful enough to do some of the effects and things I want to create; the old PS 7 was great, but is now kaput as far as this new iMac is concerned. Thanks.

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

CS2 will work in theory, but it would have to use rosetta which slows it down a fair amount since it's not native (although I thought ps7 also could do this too,but I guess not)

Anyway, the first native version was CS3.

Photoshop CS3 should work just fine.

3. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Photoshop CS (version 8) works for me in Leopard.
    The only way for it to work for me in Snow Leopard is to load CS onto a hard drive that is installed in my Leopard machine and then install that hard drive in the Snow Leopard machine.
    If I load CS directly to my Snow Leopard machine, CS will not work.

I am using Intel based machines.

4. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

RHVC59

Do you need the full Photoshop experience? If not just pick up the latest version of of Photoshop Elements. Version 8. Pixelmator is cheaper, but I have never used it, so do not know if that would fit your needs... Then again do you know any one in university? With the educational discount, CS5 ($199) And Lightroom 3 ($89) can be had for under $300.... Paying tuition bills has got to count for something:)

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you didn't say which version of OS X your intel iMac has and that can be a factor

I have 10.6 on my 3 month old imac and I'm using photoshop CS2. Getting that version of photoshop up and running was a tad annoying (don't expect any help from Adobe as they'll tell you it's not compatible) but it does work

6. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Photoshop 7 version has both codes (OS 9 and OSX) to run on Power Macs.
    I use both Photoshop CS (Version 8) and Photoshop Elements 8 on a limited hobby basis. I have played around with every version of Photoshop since Version 1. It is amazing how far the program has progressed.

I am sure you can find a good deal for Photoshop CS on eBay.

7. agnes marsala macrumors newbie

How?

Macky-Mac, how did you get it running? I seem to be able to do everything but print in CS2 on my new iMac, running 10.6.4. In Photoshop, the printer pauses everytime, and with InDesign, when I select print I get the beach ball and InDesign quits unexpectedly.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

printing wasn't and hasn't been an issue for me so I'm unable to help you :(