Old Power Adapter on New MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, Aug 24, 2014.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

Can I power my 2012 MBP with the power adapter from my circa 2008 MacBook power adapter, which has a square white box thingy and what I believe is called a "T" connector?

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sure.
    If both are 15-inch MBPro, then both will take the larger 85W adapter. The only difference is the routing of the magsafe connector. The older is a "T", and the newer is a right-angle connector. Those are interchangeable.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

But if my old adapter is like 60W and the new one is 85w, would that mean the old adapter doesn't supply enough juice to power my 2012 MBP?

Debbie

P.S. Why didn't I get an e-mail saying you replied earlier?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are correct, if the old one is not the same or higher wattage, it will not properly power your machine.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Remember that the 60W and 85W support different screen sizes. If you do have both the 60W and the 85W, that also means that you have an older 13-inch, and a newer 15-inch. You COULD use the smaller adapter on the larger screen, it will still work, but you won't have enough power for some functions, and battery charging will be very slow, and the smaller adapter (providing more power) can get uncomfortably hot. Don't use that combination for more than a few minutes, and when you have no other choice.