Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brolfsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I was very disappointed with the new Mag-safe connector that goes into the Macbook Air. Why did they chose that odd shape? Will the old power adapter work with it? Can you still buy that in stores? I don't really want to buy a used one off Ebay because I am very weird about wanting new stuff. Thanks.

RealScience

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
I was very disappointed with the new Mag-safe connector that goes into the Macbook Air. Why did they chose that odd shape? Will the old power adapter work with it? Can you still buy that in stores? I don't really want to buy a used one off Ebay because I am very weird about wanting new stuff. Thanks.

Apple Stores no longer sell power adapters with the old connectors. In my experience, the new design is better because cables tended to fray where they joined the old connectors, no matter how gentle I was with them. The new design may take some getting used to, but I think it'll ultimately grow on you.

If you're really set on an old-style adapter, you'll have to look for non-Apple stores that may still have old inventory they didn't return to Apple, or possibly third-party replacement adapters. I have no experience with those so I can't point you to any specific source.

brolfsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
how about Best Buy? do they sell older style power adapters? Also can I use anything above 45watt? Like could I use an old style power cord from a Macbook Pro? Thanks.

RealScience

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
Like could I use an old style power cord from a Macbook Pro?

I agree, but here's some anecdotal evidence that it may not work 100% of the time. I have a unibody 15" MBP that shipped with the old style magsafe connector, and my boyfriend has one of the later pre-unibody 15" MBPs that shipped with the same type of cable. He got a replacement power cord with the new style connector that didn't work on his machine, although it appeared to fit. The same cable worked fine on my machine. However, other new style adapters have worked even with his old machine. So even though the old and new style connectors seem to be largely interchangeable, there's some variation (we guessed it was the adapter length/depth of the magsafe connector slot on the laptop, we could be completely off since we didn't actually bother to measure) that you should be aware of.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I was very disappointed with the new Mag-safe connector that goes into the Macbook Air.

+1

Like the metal design, hate the new angle.

Luckily I still have the old style connector from my old MacBook.

Some people say the old style worked loose over time and was weak, but I haven't experienced this yet.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Sorry, this is my first Mac, but what did the old connector look like and what is wrong with the current magsafe adapter? Coming from a Windows laptop, this connector is awesome! :)

brolfsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
exactly, its not necessarily the look, its the angle, I don't why they chose to make it be angled that way instead of coming straight out like the old style. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find an older one at a retail store or am I stuck with going on eBay?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
What? how is this a worse design?

It literally makes a million times more sense than the old connector. It's harder to knock this one out accidentally, it just shoots the cable out the back and doesn't have a ton of leverage to be easily, and accidentally pulled out like the old one, pointing straight out. It also looks a heck of a lot better than the big white connector that's thicker than our entire computers.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I agree, but here's some anecdotal evidence that it may not work 100% of the time. I have a unibody 15" MBP that shipped with the old style magsafe connector, and my boyfriend has one of the later pre-unibody 15" MBPs that shipped with the same type of cable. He got a replacement power cord with the new style connector that didn't work on his machine, although it appeared to fit. The same cable worked fine on my machine. However, other new style adapters have worked even with his old machine. So even though the old and new style connectors seem to be largely interchangeable, there's some variation (we guessed it was the adapter length/depth of the magsafe connector slot on the laptop, we could be completely off since we didn't actually bother to measure) that you should be aware of.

It's cause your BF needs to download an SMC update to make the L-Shaped connector work with his pre-unibody MBP.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3499

Regardless, any adapter 45/60/85W L Shaped or T-Shaped, should world with the new 2010 MBA.

And to the OP - Apple changed them from Plastic to Metal 'cause this kept happening to the plastic ones:

unibodymacbook.jpg

Food for thought.

emx620

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
It's cause your BF needs to download an SMC update to make the L-Shaped connector work with his pre-unibody MBP.

Regardless, any adapter 45/60/85W L Shaped or T-Shaped, should world with the new 2010 MBA.

And to the OP - Apple changed them from Plastic to Metal 'cause this kept happening to the plastic ones:

unibodymacbook.jpg

Food for thought.

Just curious your source from that image? Did that happen to you personally? What were the circumstances regarding the incident?

RealScience

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011

I don't think that can account for one L-shaped connector not working when another one does just fine though, can it? He has since traded it in for another (it's his work machine and he just had IT swap the power brick), but if we run into the issue again we'll try this.

To the person who was asking about the picture of a burnt adapter: although I haven't had an actual fire, I've had several (at least 3) of the T-style adapters fray at the point where the cable joins the connector and get quite hot to the touch. One or two eventually stopped working completely and were replaced by Apple.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I have to I've used the magsafe connectors for years now and I find the new style way better. The old style was more prone to problems due to the cord bending at a sharp angle.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I like the L-shape better than the old plastic ones, but I gotta say, the L-shaped one that came with the older Airs was a bit snazzier in my opinion. Less can-with-rectangle-sticking-out-of-it, more single shape. Just a bit more elegant looking.

2265945801_fdc53b4147_z.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.