Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashray98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
So, I need a little help in determining what I should do and can do to update my powerbook. As I said, it is old. I think I got it in 01 or 02.
667 MHz, 512 Ram (yes, it is enough for me at the moment),
running 10.2.8
When I got it, it was top of the line, and I used it for graphics and drafting. I was the queen of OS9 (I got it right when they came out wiht OSX, and my office was not ready to switch.) Anyway, I have since left the field, and use my powerbook mostly for word docs, reseach, email, itunes, and playing with photos in photoshop, but I have been way out of the loop as far as the innerworking of the computer. Years ago, m husband spilled lots of liquid on it and did not tell me. A few months ago, after taking it in for a weird noise, i was told about the massive amount of corrosion it it. They disconnected the speakers (making the noise) and told me they were surprised it still worked. Here I am years later, and it still kicks ass! But it does seem sluggish sometimes and I want to update a few things. So, now that I have given probably more than enough background, here are my questions. (Oh, I removed OS9 about 6 months ago, thanks to this forum...)
1. Is there some sort of system check or repair to run, just to make sure everything is running properly? I remember something like this from os9, but no clue now.
2. Will I be able to upgrade directly from os10.2.8 to either tiger or leopard or do i have to step up each one?
3. We will be buying a new Imac soon for my husband, will i be able to use that OS to upgrade my laptop?

Any other suggestions? I would like to get a new one sometime, but for now, the IMac is priority.

Thanks, and sorry for being so wordy...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
512mb is a lot for most people who only do one thing at a time, believe it or not.

You can always get more RAM.

You can go from Jaguar to Tiger, yes. For my peace of mind, I usually backup all my important files, and completely erase the hard drive and reinstall the new OS and all my apps, then replace my important files. This gives me a fresh clean feeling.

Use Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) to repair file permissions.

No, you cannot use a new Mac's OS on that thing.

ashray98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to buy Tiger.

And amazingly enough, back in the day, even with 512, I could have photoshop, pagemaker, and my drafting program (PowerCadd) running with large files, and no problems.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
splurge and bump the ram to 1gig. Then buy a 100gb Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm hard drive. I had this same machine until a while ago, with these maxed out specs on Tiger. It was great. Also, you can add a Superdrive to it. These additions can be done very easily by you alone. I know because i did it myself. VERY easy on a Tibook. When the Tibook gives up the ghost, part out the ram and the machine after you pull the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.