Old Powermac G5 and Ultrawide HD 2560x1080 resolution

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by milaszewski, Jan 5, 2017.

1. milaszewski macrumors newbie

Is there any way I could use my Ultrawide HD LG screen with 2560x1080px resolution on Powermac G5 and Tiger operating system?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

With the right video card, it's no problem. Apple sold monitors(or I guess a monitor) along side the G5 with higher resolutions than that. You will need a card with a dual link port to do it.

Offhand, here are your GPU options if you have an AGP PowerMac

Radeon 9600 Pro PC&Mac
    Radeon 9650XT
    Radeon 9800
    Geforce 6800 Ultra(2xDL-DVI)
    Radeon X800XT
    Radeon X850XT

There are also plenty of flashed cards that can do it, although others will have to give you the specifics.

All cards that shipped with the PCIe G5s have at least one DL-DVI port. If you want to drive two of these monitors, you need either a Quadro FX4500 or a Radeon X1900.

3. milaszewski thread starter macrumors newbie

I just need one screen like this.
    I know these cards supported 30" Cinema Display which had 2560 * 1600. I'm just worried that at the time 2560*1080 widescreen resolution screens might had not being manufactured yet?

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The card really doesn't care about the shape or aspect ratio of the screen-it just cares about how many pixels it has to display on it.

Without having tried it, I can say pretty confidently that it will work. After all, it's a 30" Cinema with 520 pixels cut off the bottom.

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I have seen 2560x1080 Monitors hooked up to G4 Cubes via the VGA port just fine your monitor should work just fine connected to a DL DVI port or VGA port if your monitor has that

6. milaszewski thread starter macrumors newbie

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That page lists the default video card options for various configurations. The ability to drive a higher resolution monitor is entirely dependent on the video card.

I gave you a list of cards with a dual link DVI port, and as long as you have one of those cards you will have zero issues with your monitor.

I have run dual 30s on my first generation single 1.8, a computer which the above page lists as having a max of 1920x1080 out of each port. The key is that I'd replaced the shipping FX5200(which is what the above page assumes) with a 6800 Ultra.

8. milaszewski thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to get 2560*1080 working on a single link DVI output. The key is setting refresh rate to 53Hz using SwitchResX. LG Ultrawide screens will accept that refresh rate and it delivers sharp picture from older macs!

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Sorry to bump an old thread but I would like to try this with my lg 29 inch ultrawide and my quad. Do you have a screenshot of the settings?

10. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Another option could be an USB to DVI/HDMI converter. It takes the graphics computing away from the internal card. Don't use this if you want to watch movies or game on the screen because the adaptor is too slow for that. But office and web are no problem