old printer driver on 10.7 lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rapa-nuii, Feb 15, 2012.

1. rapa-nuii macrumors newbie

hello. i have a client that just bought a new mac computer. it's running os lion (10.7.x) and he has an old Xerox printer that he wants to use. i found a link to a samsung driver but it doesn't run under lion because of the "can't open XXXX because power pc applications are no longer supported" message. i installed on a laptop running 10.6.x with no problems and when i check the info on the application (CMD+i) it only shows Application on kind. Any suggestion on how to run this installer to have the driver for the printer? Thanks a lot.

2. Jiojimbo macrumors newbie

Im having te same problem trying to print from Lion with an HP desingjet 100 and a HP desingjet t1120ps , the first one just wont add as a printer and the second one has a "valid" driver, but when it try to print i have some missing dialogs on the print window, some important adjustment are just missing. If i try the same fron a machine running snow leopard, everything works fine.
    I'm going to try this: http://www.planetquark.com/2011/12/21/how-to-use-old-printer-drivers-with-lion/#.UTVmiBlS26A tomorrow.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

If....

the driver itself was written to use code of the PowerPC platform, you are out of luck. No will run in Mac OS X 10.7, the best shot is to find some driver emulator that runs in 10.7, if run that specific printer is highly important for your client.Otherwise, in the top of my mind would be to downgrade the OS, but that seems overkill :(

Maybe if you post the specific model of printer anyone here can help you more:)

:):apple:

4. Jiojimbo, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Jiojimbo macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Im aware that the problem has to do with the abscence of rosetta in lion and mountain lion. For what i can see there´s no way to make it run on the newer OS like Lion. The thing is that im dealing with a 24" (hp desingt jet 100 plus) and 44" (hp designjet t1120ps) printers so you´ll understand that we can´t afford to buy two new ones just like that because mac dropped rosetta support!
    I have to say that i was able to print using generic drives, but im loosing critical settings from the printing dialogs. I´ll keep looking , but i have not a big hope on it.

5. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

One "solution" is to install a partition with Ubuntu on it, and run your prints at end of work session. I know it's a bit limiting, but it should allow continued use of your old printers.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

another solution would be to buy an older mac mini that will run osx 10.6 and use it as a print server.

7. Jiojimbo macrumors newbie

Or to have a partition with snow leopard or to vitualize SL on paralles or Fusion, but neither is a practical sollution as i can't wait "till the end of the working day to print" because im dealing with high-quality large format prints, so i need to send tests, arange settings and print again. I guess i´ll be downgrading one of the mac pros to SL and live with it. It´s sad no to said annoying to have to buy lots of new hardware (our espson photo scanners are neither supported) after all the money we have spend on powerbooks, mac pros, and macbook pros no to count HP´s large formt printers.
    Anyway, thanks for your time, and thanks apple and hp for doing "disposable cutting edge prodcuts"