old RAM compatible with new MP ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deux-ex-mak, Jan 11, 2008.

1. deux-ex-mak macrumors newbie

Sorry for this question, probably a bit silly, but I just want to make sure...

I bought an MP few months ago -some jobs couldn't wait... This forum was a great deal of help in making the decision, I got a nice deal and am extremely happy with the machine. I refused to buy it new -to see it now outdated. And I got a smashing deal as I said, Quad 2'66-1TB HD-4x2 Gb RAM.

Now I wonder if I will be able to use all or part of this 8 Gb RAM in the new MP. I presume not, at least not reliably... Can anyone confirm this ?

And if someone is in a generous mode, could s/he explain whether the use of this RAM in the old machine would improve under Leopard ?
    (I'm still running the latest 10.4)

Thanks to everyone, especially Multimedia and Sdave.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Your RAM is 667Mhz RAM, the new machines require 800Mhz RAM so it won't work, sorry.

3. peejack macrumors 6502a

No you can't the new mac pro uses different ram.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Such is life.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The chipset supports it, as it is meant for 1066MHz and 1333MHz FSB processors, but there is the issue of it working with 1600MHz processors, there were also issues with certain memory not working with the clovertown 3GHz octo macs that did work with the quads I think, so it may be something like that rather than Apple just preventing it. I'm sure someone will test it soon.

7. chipchen macrumors 6502

Even if it works... it'll just slow down the whole computer... thus pretty much eliminating the reason in getting such a fast machine.